Syncing With Itunes

Watchout

I am looking for best way of syncing so here is my situation.

I have two macs (an mini i7 and a mpb i5) and here are the two syncs I did:

(from i5) serato folder (to i7 read only) this works perfectly

(from i5) itunes folder (to i7) full access works great but here are my issues.

I put new music on my i7, close itunes and turn on my i5 which then writes over the i7's library xml and now I cannot see the new music I added.  Why did hte i5 overwrite i7?

Or both are on, I put new music on my i5 and close itunes.  turn on itunes on my i7 which overwrites the i5's itunes xml.

So what I am essential asking is what determine who is to overwrite the other?  Is it the date created?  What do you suggest I do?

I tried to do a read only access on the i5 but I found myself wanting to do some stuff on it and not need to move to my i7 which I use to do more of the heavy load work. (processing mp3tags etc)

Any suggestions would be awesome and if you need me to clear it up further, ask away.

So what I am essential asking is what determine who is to overwrite the other?  Is it the date created?  What do you suggest I do?

btsync is doing it's job - syncing the changes (ie, newest file) from the source to the other devices with older versions.

You could add the iTunes XML library file to the .SyncIgnore file.

• 1 month later...

I have a Windows machine at work and MBP at home. I do my primary downloading at work. My DLM at work already autosyncs to iTunes at work.

Now I'm trying to get iTunes to autosync at home. I tried setting up my Sync folder on my MBP to the iTunes "auto add to itunes" directory but that doesn't seem to work. How are you doing it?

Thanks

Hi Watchout,

Actually it hardly depends how iTunes work. I would avoid syncing iTunes data by two reasons:

a) iTunes might load earlier than your user (and BTSync does). In this case if it modifies it's files - they would be fresher than ones you are trying to sync

B) Some of iTunes files might be bound to hardware (HDD id, custom paths, etc.) - so I'm really not sure that iTunes files are going to work if they are moved either manually or by BTSync.

hernangeles,

I tried syncing music to "Auto add to iTunes" directory and it worked perfectly. However, there is one little peculiarity: when iTunes can't add something (due to unsupported format), it moves file to "Not Added" folder instead. I can guess that iTunes tries to add file before BTSync complete the download with .synctemp extension - and moves to "Not Added" folder. 

Can you please check the "Not Added"? If this is not your case - can you describe precisely how it is not working?

Thanks.