Bug Report - Bt Sync Breaks Windows Indexing Function

About a month ago I noticed my PC started having indexing issues, which happened within a few days of installing BT Sync.

Basically any time I open any window, the thumbnails won't load and the menu bars gets stuck with the green indexing bar never ending its indexing function:

IT610PX.png

Yes, I tried restarting the computer (someone is bound to ask)

I also went to various PC forums, and they recommend turning the indexing off (which I won't do because I have too many files and I can't lose the ability to search my documents fast).

Aside from uninstalling BT Sync, no other recommended fixes worked.

I thought perhaps it's the issue with another program that caused BT Sync to do this, so I tried installing Windows from scratch, but within a few days of installing BT Sync, the issue came back

I uninstalled BT Sync again, restarted the computer and the issue is once again gone.

Clearly the issue is being caused by the program, I hope there is an update that will fix this soon

Vista Home Premium, SP2

BT Sync ver. 1.2.82

Does the indexing break even if you are not syncing at all? I think so, but you are not stating this explicitly.

I am not saying I don't suffer the same problem, but have not noticed it thus far on Windows 8.1.

You do know that Vista is the Windows version that introduced many techniques that only started working properly in Windows 7?

I've seen explorer unable to rename a folder because that same explorer process had a file lock on a thumbnail in that folder for only god and Bill gates knows why. This was on Windows 7 with a NAS. This info does not really help you. You just want your Vista installation to continue do what it currently does.

• 1 month later...

Does the indexing break even if you are not syncing at all?

It does. I do have a number of sync folders on the machine, but there was nothing in them to sync. Yet the indexing goes all wonky.

I should add that indexing breaks computer-wide (not only within the sync folders)

You do know that Vista is the Windows version that introduced many techniques that only started working properly in Windows 7? I've seen explorer unable to rename a folder because that same explorer process had a file lock on a thumbnail in that folder for only god and Bill gates knows why.

I do - the file lock you refer to is something I too have experienced. I have since installed file unlocker utility that integrates with the OS so I don't have to resort to restarting the machine . That being said, there is no reason that Vista, however inept, should only be able to do its indexing without BitTorrent Sync.

One more thing I noticed that I haven't reported earlier - I installed Dropbox and the same issue came back. I tried uninstalling Dropbox and it went away.

It's interesting that two syncing programs cause the issue to come up.

Also, the fact hat none of this was an issue for months. Then Windows issued an update and now both BT Sync and DropBox cause an issue.

I tried reinstalling the OS, as I mentioned before, and everything worked just fine until the update installed itself