Cycatus

Great Idea For The Devs

Dear BitTorrent,

I had a great idea after reading about Sync and I thought I'd mention it because I think it would come as a very handy product to a lot of people who will be using Sync. 

What if you made a piece of hardware that you could connect to your TV and it would let you login to your Sync account allowing you to stream any video or music files right to your TV? 

I think this would be a great idea to put into motion because I've struggled with the problem of lag well watching many of my high quality bluray's on a cheap computer. Not a lot of people can afford really nice computers these days and a lot of us like our digital copies of blurays which we like to watch on our computers but this fills up a lot of space really quick because as you know, blurays that are good aren't compressed meaning they take up a lot of space. 

This is the reason I find Sync amazing, it's going to be of great use to me and anyone else in my position. I think the hardware idea would be great because then not only do I have a ton of space for all my bluray movies but now I can stream them without lag right to my TV using a small hardware device that you could create and either give to people with no charge or sell for a really cheap price since it's probably going to cost money to ship it to people so you'll need to make something from each unit you sell in order to pay for all the shipping costs. 

This could change the way we watch our entertainment forever, Sync could not just become the greatest online storage client in the world but also the best way to watch your movies and music with the touch of a button. 

Let me know what you think, same with all the users on this forum. I'm a totally new user here but I'd love to hear user feedback on my idea. I'm not asking for anything in return for my idea if taken into consideration. You're consideration in my idea would be all that I need to make me a happy man.

I think the hardware idea would be great because then not only do I have a ton of space for all my bluray movies but now I can stream them without lag right to my TV using a small hardware device

Bittorrent Sync has nothing to do with streaming, this is purely file synchronization. What you want can be done with many other things.

Hey there.

First thing: I totally get the idea. Really nice one.

But I really doubt that the average private users upstream bandwidth fits the needs of video streaming. When I do e.g. netflix, I get ~7MBit for SuperHD videos. I guess your private HD videos are quite equal.

When you're at youre holiday apartment and want its TV access your personal movie library at home, your home bandwidth must be capable of providing the video in almost real time. That's unlikely.

Second thing: Alternative.

But step one step back. Don't think about a tiny plug for your TV (so nothing like the Chromecast thingy) but about a full blown NAS. There are numerous in the "Supported NAS" thread.

Most of them have DLNA available, so they can stream uploaded files from the box to your TV through LAN. That's the only way to go.

Of course this requires your NAS box to download the entire file before your TV can start playing it. But since I suspect the average upload bandwidth the real point my sollutions solves, this would be required anyway.

I personally own a Zyxel NSA 310. I will hardware-hack it a bit to get rid of the original, annoyingly loud fan. But apart from that, it's pretty awesom. Really cheep and lots of features.

Third: Go to the wishlist thread!

That's what it is made for. I don't know if bittorent company will follow your suggestion. But requesting anything must only be done there.

Fourth: Wait for the API, do it yourself or crowd fund.

As soon as the API is complete and available for everybody, things like partial sync, synchronizing packages in a certain order and "download only" might be possible.

So as soon as the API is available, somebody else can just take this API and write a nice little Cromecast or regular Android app for that. Or even some integrated Smart TV app, since all of those TVs have a (unfortunately individual and different) public API.

So the main part of my fourth idea is: An open API allows foreign contributors to create programms that access the btsync network.

Regards,

Stephan.

With nested shares this seems like a fairly obtainable goal. Simply setup a mediacenter, setup a sync folder, and attach all your media shares to it. Make the mediacenter stream to your television, or connect through HDMI/whatever.