Android Photo Sync

ammar577

Hi all,

im very new to bittorrent sync, can someone please explain to me how i can sync photos from my camera folder to my computer one way only so i can delete them from my phone? my phone memory gets full quick and i would like to replace dropbox with bittorrent sync since its more convenient and seems reliable,

Regards,

Ammar 

You can simply add the "DCIM" Folder to BTSync, an share the folder to your computer by selecting a Folder and entering the same secret (Other way around is much easier: Create a new Folder on your Computer, click "Connect mobile", on your phone scan the QR-Code, select your DCIM Folder).

Your photos will be synced between your Smartphone and your Computer, so when you delete them (or move them) on your computer they'll be deleted on your smartphone.

Just works with Read/Write Secret.

Dear ammar577,

Currently there's no built in function in BTSync to do what you describe. It would be very nice to have a built in photo sync feature to match Dropbox's. Perhaps it's already on BitTorrent's TODO list? :)

Meanwhile, you can try the following method:

1. 1. Assume you've already set up BitTorrent Sync on your Android phone and computer
  2. 2. When your phone's memory is almost full, open BitTorrent Sync Android app and delete the sync folder (Note: this action will not delete any photos on the phone or the computer)
  3. 3. Delete all photos on your phone to free up memory
  4. 4. Create a new, empty Sync Folder on your computer. Call it "Photos2"
  5. 5. Add the new "Photos2" folder to the Android app - Choose the same photos folder as the originla sync folder (the one you deleted in Step 2)
  6. 6. Now, all your old photos are preserved on your computers, and new photos will continue to sync to "Photos2"
  7. 7. Repeat the above steps when memory is running out

Another approach would be for Ammar577 to follow the instructions in the User Guide to Backup his DCIM folder to his home computer. After he deletes pictures from his phone, he can go his home computer and find the deleted pictures in the .SyncArchive directory (for 30 days - or longer if he changes the Advanced setting as described in the User Guide). From the .SyncArchive he can move the pictures to someplace permanent on his home computer.

• 2 months later...

I don't know much about Synology. But many NAS stations have some kind of replikation. My Qnap have a sync function and I made a older where I sync my photos from my phone with Bittorrent Sync, I then have a one way sync from that folder on my Qnap to an other folder on my Qnap. 

That way i know if I delete photos on my phone that are more than 1 day old, they have also been synced to the other Qnap folder.

ammar577,

There is a way to accomplish photo backup without deleting photos from PC when they are deleted on Android device. Your deleted photos are stored to .SyncArchive folder. As @yoshm noted, they stay there for 30 days by default. The .SyncArchive behavior can be adjusted so it won't clean up photos ever. To achieve that, open preferences -> advanced and change "sync_trash_ttl" to 0.