One_Way Sync Issue

jonas0_13

Hi ! I'm new on this forum and i'm a recent user of BT Sync on WIndows 7.

I need one-way sync for one folder. So I set a read only secret (permanent).

At first all files in the folder synchronized.

When a file is modified in the master folder, changes are synchronized in the second folder.

However, if a file is modified in the second folder, synchronization of this file is blocked : changes made in the master folder are no more synchronized in the second folder. 

Is this behavior normal ?

I need a one-way sync in which the second folder is fully synchronized, even if some changes happen sometimes in the second folder.

Thank you for your answer.

Maybe I did not explain very clearly.

I don't think that what I'm looking for is a sync-all-changes-except-for-deletion type of share.

What I'm looking for is a one-way sync. Let's call A the master device, B the second device and F the folder for which I need one-way sync. I want that all changes in F done on A propagates to F on B, but none of changes in F done on B propagates to F on A.

However BTSync did not work like this :

- as long as files are not modified in F on B, one-way sync works fine, i.e. all changes in F done on A propagates to F on B

- as soon as a file is modified in F on B, one-way sync stops definitively for this file, i.e. none of the changes which will happen in F on A will propagate to F on B.

I hope this is clearer now.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi,

I observe the same problem as you.

After long journey of try and error, I think it is the problem of file version. I found that any files exist on device B while adding the sync folder F for 'read only' wont be indexed and wont be overwritten by syncing. A Q&A question:

What if files with same names are added from different computers? 

• We give human action first priority and always consider it right. That's why if several files with 
the same name are added on different devices, BitTorrent Sync will synchronize the file that 
was the latest added to BitTorrent Sync even if it is not the newest version of the file itself.( But in our case,  latest added cannot be sync back as the 'read only')
Previously added files will be deleted, but you can find them in .SyncTrash (if enabled in 
folder preferences).

The same goes for modified files, as it suppose the files versions are newer when files are modifies on B, but it won't sync back to master device A, and it don't make sense to overwritten your newer version with the older version on A, so the file stop syncing unless it is removed on device B.

What I want is something that the master device has the executive power to overwrite any files on other devices of the same name, regardless of their version. So that the folders in synced devices always follow the files of the master folder. Are you expecting the same thing?

I hope it can help.

Hi Casacota;

I don'y see this option. Where can I find it ?

Thank you Trebion.

Your explanation helps to understand.

What I want is something that the master device has the executive power to overwrite any files on other devices of the same name, regardless of their version. So that the folders in synced devices always follow the files of the master folder. Are you expecting the same thing?

Yes; I am expencting exactly the same thing as you.

• 1 month later...