Please Consider Linux Support

ftrotter

I have been using btsync for quite some time to backup important stuff on linux.

I had a power outage.

Because btsync is not a linux package for either apt or yum, you have to do the setup to make btsync a service on your own. Following instructions on the forum I did that, but it did not work and now I cannot even remember where I put those files.

I started manually and it did not find my configuration file. I will probably have to set it up from scratch.

Supporting linux by supporting user-space executables is the same thing as not supporting it all. 

I am now in a worse position than if I had no backup system. I have a backup system that doesnt work reliably.

If you are going to be Open Source.. fine, I will code or fund the packages myself.

If you are not going to be Open Source, then this is work that can only be done by the core developer team in any kind of reliable back-wards compatible way... you cannot expect others to do it with raw binaries.

Please fix yourselves.

-FT 

Because btsync is not a linux package for either apt or yum, you have to do the setup to make btsync a service on your own.

Please take a look at this thread.

I started manually and it did not find my configuration file.

BTsync saves configurations in .sync, wherever you have placed the binary, otherwise btsync --conf <path-here> does the trick.

Supporting linux by supporting user-space executables is the same thing as not supporting it all. 

Not quite sure why this is bad ....

I am now in a worse position than if I had no backup system. I have a backup system that doesnt work reliably.

Please be aware, that BTsync is still BETA.

As long as it is, it would be wise to not to use it in a production environment unless you are fully aware of it and have some sort of other robust backup system in place.

In my case, I sync folders, which I track through git already, but for convenience I share some subfolders with others. All my shares are synced to FreeBSD servers, which have ZFS snapshots, so in case BTsync is buggy, I can just roll back. To avoid some of the problems others have with multiple RW shares, I have usually one master RW and multiple RO nodes.

HTH