Bittorrent Sync.app Energy Impact - Battery Drain

TimCinel

This is targeted at the developers more than anybody.

BitTorrent Sync tends to use too much power on OS X. The newest version of OS X, 10.9, makes it easy to quantify which processes are wasting power with it's new "Energy Impact" metric in the Activity Monitor.

The latest version of Sync has an average impact of around 3.5, I very rarely update my Sync folders, so Sync is almost always idle (screenshot).

To give some perspective, Dropbox has 0.3, Skype has 0.16, Mail.app has 0.43. On the other end of the spectrum, Chromium sits around 4.96. IMO, BitTorrent Sync should be much closer to processes like Skype and Dropbox than to processes like Chrome, especially when there is no sync activity.

Earlier versions of Sync would sometimes become runaway processes, I noticed, almost maxing out the CPU. At least this seems to be solved for now.

Anybody notice that BTSync is a bit of a battery-drainer?

P.S. AFAIK, the energy impact is a ratio. That doesn't invalidate my argument.

• 1 month later...

Is the new update already released or is there a timeframe for the next release? I really love the sync, but the energy consumption is a drawback so far. 

There have been no new updates to the Mac client (which is what the OP referred to) since vadimt's post. The latest Mac client version is 1.2.82. Sync 1.3 however is on the horizon!

Thanks for the fast reply! I am already using 1.2.82 and experience still a high energy consumption compared to other apps. I am syncing 5GB with a FreeNas server. Is there a change log for the upcoming 1.3 version or does it also address energy consumption? 

Even if I pause the synchronization, the app is using energy for some background processes. So far I have to shutdown it completely, when I am not using the sync actively. Would be great if the app could be paused in terms of syncing and energy consumption. 

EDIT: Just found this thread:

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/27475-status-update/

I think I just should wait a little longer for the upcoming release. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am experiencing the same issue with battery drain.

I am syncing 2 folders (130 GB) between my MacBook and iMac.

The average energy impact on the MacBook is around 13.5, which is the highest.

I know I am sharing a large amount of data but BTSync seems to be idle most of the time.

Will it be solved in future versions ? I am using latest 1.3.106 version.

Thanks. 

Edited by Johnny Dopp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...