lolcat

Generate Encrypted Read-Only Secret Without Api Key

Hi, it worked thanks: I got a 1.4 folder created. Then when I get my key, it gives me a 2.0 type key again:

https:// link.getsync.com/#f=**-Perso&sz=0&t=1&s=ZVHNHT***H4J3I42***LQELCD***2CRGI&i=CT4LMFC***5LEIVL***CUVY6G6***QBOW&e=1429***698&v=2.0

@Mas73

It's a link of v.2.0. If you add it to other computer it will be 1.4 folder. Also, you can open a folder preferences and copy key directly.

Hi,

OK it works, so here the user manual :

1-In your BTSync 2.0 user interface click on a blank space somewhere, it’s kind of a « reset ».

2-Press and keep Shift and put your mouse over the « Add Folder » at the top left, you should see a small « 1.4 » appearing inside the button, if not go back to « 1 ».

3-Shift-click the « 1.4 add folder » and choose the folder you want to share with Encrypted Read-Only (E-RO).

4-Once this folder is created in your UI (user interface), go at the top right of its line and open the « settings » UI.

5-At the bottom of the « settings » UI you’ll see a « see key ». Open this area and you’ll be able to copy the Read-Write 1.4 key, the one that starts with an « A ».

6-In a text editor change the « A » to « D ».

The all point of all the above gesticulating was only to create an E-RO key. Now you can disconnect your folder so that you'll be able to reconnect it later using a 1.4 key.

7-With your 1.4 « D » key, go to the 2.0 UI and using the menu at the top right corner « connect manually » and point it to your native folder for which you want to have an E-RO offsite, the one you just disconnected, I assume the all point for us is probably to have a copy in an untrusted location.

8-If everything is right, your folder is now displaying a small 1.4 in its icon and is indexing. Go at the top right of the line and open the « settings » UI. At the bottom of the UI you should see a « see key », open it and now you should be offered to copy an encrypted key. This is the one you give to your untrusted location.

What a lot of gesticulating for something BTSync Pro users should be able to do in less than 3 clicks. Let me know if I need to edit this user manual.

[...]

What a lot of gesticulating for something BTSync Pro users should be able to do in less than 3 clicks. Let me know if I need to edit this user manual.

Sorry about that - however Encrypted secrets are not officially supported in UI and they are only part of API (and as result the UI scenario was not tested or optimized).

@RomanZ

Thanks for that, we know it has never been officially supported in UI, don't worry we're not going to launch a law suit against BT because of that. Can we just know if this feature is ever going to be supported? Just to know if we can forget about it, save time, and search for something else for using untrusted peers for backup. Thanks.

@Mas73

Sorry, I have no ETA/plans to provide at the moment. I can only let you know that BitTorrent is definitely aware of the interest in community towards this feature.

Hi, Is it possible to out-of-band preseed E-RO hosts?For example, I have a share with 500GB, I set up an E-RO host on a local LAN machine, let it sync, and then copy all the files to a USB hard drive and ship it off-site. If I plug in the USB Hard drive, copy the files back, and add the folder with a E-RO secret, will the remote computer be able to integrate the 500GB of data and only sync the changes that have happened in the meanwhile?Thanks!

Further to that question, If I have the plaintext files of my 500GB of data on the remote machine, is it possible to convert them to an E-RO share? (without transferring them over the WAN)

@Noaho

Pre-seeding E-RO folders is not possible. Syncing to some local E-RO peer then transferring data via flash drive is also not an option: technically, every E-RO peer has its own set of encryption keys therefore even having 2 E-RO peers with same files will indicate that all these files are different if you make a byte-to-byte comparison.

I would also like to state that E-RO folders are the #1 feature why I chose BitTorrent Sync.

Hopefully this functionality will be supported and integrated in the UI soon, together with full 2.0 Folder support.

I would also like to state that E-RO folders are the #1 feature why I chose BitTorrent Sync.

Hopefully this functionality will be supported and integrated in the UI soon, together with full 2.0 Folder support.

I fully agree. E-RO folders are the only way to run secure 'cloud' peers where the VPS hoster or data center does not have to be trusted. For this reason, I am still mostly using 1.4-style folders. It would be great if we could both get good UI support and 2.0 E-RO folders indeed.

Encrypted read-only folders are one of those brilliant Sync features that make it stand out among centralized (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.) and decentralized (Syncthing) competition.

You can take help of allkeysgenerator.com where with the help of a sync space, you can use the encryption sheet. This site successfully creates the keys as well, but without that, you process can be proceeded further. The site also acts as a peer to help you sync. All you need to add an email to the sync so that in future no hindrance occurs to syncing.