Sign in to follow this  
theviewer1985

Basic Network Without Cloud...?

Hi Guys

What I want, I feel is quite simple, and when I find out how, I will probably kick myself for not thinking it myself

But I want a basic network between users, just like you can have within a LAN using basic Windows networking but accessable no matter where you are in the world.

I tried Bitorrent Sync and of course things like dropbox, but what I do NOT want is a "sync" because the folder will contain HUGE files which I do not want to be uploaded and downloaded unless its required to be.

So what I need is a method that can allow people to "browse" a folder and take what they need.

Cheers

This currently only works with the mobile clients and the API. If you just connect two desktops, everything will be synchronised.

Sounds like the OP is asking for an FTP.    Only problem is the browsing windows look different from a normal windows explorer.   You could let these people remote into the computer.     I have a combination of both using Bitvise tunnel software.    I can log into my home computer from anywhere in the world, take control of it, then pull up an SFTP window to transfer files I need.    It comes down to how many people will be logging into this computer, and how secure you need it to be.     If you don't want to mess with BitVise, you could also use the free version of LogMeIn or Team Viewer to reach the computer, then FTP or send files out using BTSync.

Although that 'works' - I feel it is far to cumbersome and I'd just be better off using dropbox. Bare in mind this has to be quick and simple not just for me, but also something that a GIRLfriend can work out with ease :-P

I'm actually amazed there isn't a user friendly system that handles what I am asking for. It feels like that should have been available before the "cloud" became a thing in terms of technological advancements

Back when I worked for international firms, they of course had network folders accessible within the office, but also the offices in other cities also had access. How would they achieve it, because that's effectively what I want

Bittorrent seems to be along he lines of what I want... I don't know why there isn't a simple option to disable syncing and just have browsing - maybe that's more complicated then I think.

The international firms would set up VPN's between each office to make it look like that all the computers were part of the same network.

To be able to list files before downloading you can either:

Set up an FTP Server

or

Set up a Web Server

that points to a folder, whether it is synced or not.

So you get the listing access you require via FTP/WWW and still can have BTSync syncing files between other computers as well if you so choose.

Hey there.

Well, every file synchronization tool is not what you want. So you will not find a sufficient sollution by looking at any of those.

Neither btsnyc nor dropbox will give you that.

There is one thing that could work: Things like Google Drive or Microsoft Skydrive, which install themselfs as virtual file system/folder drivers that give you Windows Exporer browsable feature without actually downloading anything in advance. But this is not "without cloud". So that isn't what you want, too.

I would suggest to set up some VPN between your clients and make them connect directly. Then you can use default Windows File shares. As a VPN sollution I really like tincvpn. It's aaawesom easy to set up, works on dd-wrt, openwrt and several NAS boxes. And of course on all major Linux distributions as well as Windows and OS-X. If you have a rooted android device, tincvpn works there as well.

Tincvpn is designed to make direct connections between all nodes, so there's no central server required. Although I do like central servers because they have static IPs or well known host names. Tincvpn can use the central servers to distribute routes between nodes that, after having found one another, can connect directly.

Regards,

Stephan.

Although that 'works' - I feel it is far to cumbersome and I'd just be better off using dropbox. Bare in mind this has to be quick and simple not just for me, but also something that a GIRLfriend can work out with ease :-P

I'm actually amazed there isn't a user friendly system that handles what I am asking for. It feels like that should have been available before the "cloud" became a thing in terms of technological advancements

Back when I worked for international firms, they of course had network folders accessible within the office, but also the offices in other cities also had access. How would they achieve it, because that's effectively what I want

Bittorrent seems to be along he lines of what I want... I don't know why there isn't a simple option to disable syncing and just have browsing - maybe that's more complicated then I think.

I agree so much to this sentiment. BTSync is not done, and I am afraid fun features will be paid features. What you are looking for looks more like a P2P storage solution, I am looking into the possibility of making such a system, after all it should be quite simple to create.

To have bittorrent to distribute files per request would be brilliant. Simply download a small database containing torrents, and file structures, and encryption keys, then you either download a folder automagically, or a file per request.

To make a better, and more functional BTSync would require very little, most of the software is allready there.

The international firms would set up VPN's between each office to make it look like that all the computers were part of the same network.

To be able to list files before downloading you can either:

Set up an FTP Server

or

Set up a Web Server

that points to a folder, whether it is synced or not.

So you get the listing access you require via FTP/WWW and still can have BTSync syncing files between other computers as well if you so choose.

FTP is not P2P, a webserver is not P2P. To setup a centralized system would be a completly different thing.

To make the BTSync client have these features would require little to nothing by the BTSync staff, simply open up the API (then someone will write their own client), or add it to the normal client.

BTSync unfortunatly lacks the features to make it P2P, yes it is distributed, but they can't cross share, so it is more of a node to node system.

For big files I would prefer the bitorrent protocoll over FTP, for many small files I would prefer the bitorrent protocoll.

FTP is not P2P, a webserver is not P2P. To setup a centralized system would be a completely different thing.

The OP asked for a way to display a list of files to download without downloading the files first. Both those solutions provide a means to do that, he doesn't want the files to sync.

There is nothing preventing the files in the listing from being torrents and running his own private torrent server. Like there is nothing preventing him in the background turning it into a sync folder and syncing across multiple computers if he so chooses.

A web server is probably the best solution as he can generate html pages with descriptions if he wants.

Selctive sync is a pretty important feature for a lot of us. I have netbooks with 20GB of storage, I can't sync what my normal computers have to it, but I would still want to be able to use the speeds my swarm provides to download files on request. Setting up transparently encrypted torrents, using SSL Torrent (feature of libTorrent) would essentially replace all the features of BTSync and add tons of features (virtual shares, and so on).