Folder_Rescan_Interval Can Be Disabled On Read-Only Device?

alonjr

BTsync is drawing quite a lot of CPU resources from my Raspberry Pi (currently I have approx. 97k files that total 15GB and I expect that to double before it plateaus). 

Based on other articles in this forum, i'm considering to increase the folder_rescan_interval to be a much higher number. Here comes my question ... 

The Raspberry Pi simply serves as a Read-Only device, in other words, no files will be changing on this device, it only servers to mirror a folder contents on another (ubuntu) device that frequently creates new files (photos).

In this scenario, is folder rescan even necessary on the Raspberry Pi? If not, how do I disable rescanning, simply set folder_rescan_interval to a very large number?

Whilst folder_rescan_interval can't be "disabled" as such, however, the highest value you can set it to is 2147483647 (seconds)  i.e. a very, VERY long time!

That said, even though no files may be syncing from your read-only device to your full-access device, read-only devices can still share data between them, and therefore, Sync still needs to keep track of what's in each folders.

For example, if you have 3 devices syncing, Device A which is "full access", and Devices B and C which are both "read only", A will send data to both B and C, at the same time, B and C will also exchange data between them. to ensure that data from A is available on both B and C as quickly as possible.

So, in summary, Sync needs to maintain an accurate record of the contents of the folders you add to Sync, and therefore, folder_rescan_interval is still important variable, even on read-only devices.

Whilst folder_rescan_interval can't be "disabled" as such, however, the highest value you can set it to is 2147483647 (seconds)  i.e. a very, VERY long time!

That said, even though no files may be syncing from your read-only device to your full-access device, read-only devices can still share data between them, and therefore, Sync still needs to keep track of what's in each folders.

For example, if you have 3 devices syncing, Device A which is "full access", and Devices B and C which are both "read only", A will send data to both B and C, at the same time, B and C will also exchange data between them. to ensure that data from A is available on both B and C as quickly as possible.

So, in summary, Sync needs to maintain an accurate record of the contents of the folders you add to Sync, and therefore, folder_rescan_interval is still important variable, even on read-only devices.

Doesn't the sqlite database keep track of this?