Unselecting Syncing In Android App Not Possible?

sebfroeb

Hi there,

I'm very excited about BTSync and its selective sync feature.

However I just can't find out how to unselect an already synced file.

Example:

Folder AlbumA

Folder AlbumB

Folder AlbumC

are shared on the server

on the android app I check AlbumA and AlbumB to be synced on the mobile device.

Later I want to quit having AlbumB available on the mobile without deleting it on the server.

How can I do this? Can't beleive I'm the only one with this usecase.

Please help.

Thanks.

Hi sebforeb,

There is a bug in Android version of BTSync which won't allow you to do it. Now if your folder set up for selective sync - folder/file deletion will delete it on other synced devices as well. By design for selective sync it should remove folder/file on device only with ability to re-sync it on demand if necessary.

UPD.

It is not a bug. Android supports full BTSync synchronisation, so deletion of a file EVEN in selective SYNC will result in file deletion on your other devices. If you want just to sync some files / folders selectively and do not remove them from other devices - just put a read-only secret on your Android.

Hi Romanz,

thanks for your answer!

I don't have a problem with the synchronisation of deletions in an existing sync-relationship. I just need the posibility to cancel this "sync-relationship" after a while.

read-only secret would be a solution but I want to sync file updates to the server (e.g. I want to update a mp3 song rating that I made on my mobile device to my server).

I need a function like: long press on a synced file or folder and click "don't make offline available"

Selective Sync doesn't make sense to me If I just can add files or folders to the syncing list but never can remove any anymore without removing it from all devices.

• 2 months later...

Also started a topic in the api dev forum... Currently unselecting files (even if using the selective sync api feature) doesn't seem to be possible. But it should be :-)

How can I do this? Can't beleive I'm the only one with this usecase.

You aren't. :-)

Edited by Odilbert

wait a sec.

just found in the change list of the new version 1.3:

Android-specific changes:

• Fixed issue with app crash on switch from wifi to 3G

• Fixed crash on first run and help on Android 2.2

• Removed mobile-to-mobile share tab

• Fixed issue with auto-sleep

• Fixed issue with QR recognition

• Added ability to cancel selective sync files

• Fixed issue with cellular data usage

• Android 4.4 ExtSD limited to OS designated folder

• Cosmetic fixes and changes

that sounds like exactly what we want. Question: how can I do it? Can't find any change in the UI.

• 4 months later...

vanderbo,

When in selective sync you tap a file to be synced, you will see a progress bar and a cross icon (X) near it. So to answer your questions: if you tap that cross icon while syncing is occurring, the file will stop syncing. If you want this file stay in sync, just tap it again when the cross disappears. 

Thanks RomanZ. What to do when the tapped file is lost in a thousand? Is there a way to spot it easily? Earlier you wrote that tapping the cross icon does not allow unsyncing files. But now you say that it stops syncing. It seems rather confusing to me. Did I miss something? How to de/activate selective sync anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Helen and RomanZ,

thanks for the explanation.

We need this feature (tapping the cross) not just while downloading the file but also after when the file is already synced.

We need a way to cancel a sync relationship of files or folders in order to avoid filling up a device with reduced space each time you want to change the files that should be offline available on the device. As described above.

Are there plans to inlude this important feature?

There are so many people wanting the Selective Sync Feature in this forum. But its not just select but also unselect what is needed.