Bittorrent Sync Slows Down / Hangs Windows Explorer Process

SSzretter

I have bittorrentsync (latest) installed on 3 different machines (all windows 7).   Two of them are fine, and for example when I drop a file in to a sync folder they do not slow down at all or it is barely noticeable.

However, on this 3rd machine, while BTSync is running windows explorer becomes very unresponsive.  It does not appear to be taking up any CPU time, the machine is mostly idle.   If I exit BTSync, the issue stops.

It only appears to impact the windows explorer process.  For example, I might have several programs running - browsers, outlook, etc. and I can alt-tab and use them without issue full speed.   It's only when I try to get to the start menu, file explorer or similar when it's VERY slow or unresponsive.

I do not see anything strange in the software itself, no strange error messages for example.

I have tweaked settings on the machines to try to help, for example use tcp, not to use encryption on lan and have tried the hard drive high priority vs. low priority with no difference.

I checked and all my ata devices say ultra dma.    This is an recent i7 machine with 24 gigs ram.

Any ideas on what I can look at?

• 4 weeks later...

I seem to be having the same issue. It does not seem to be related to machine quality either. Both machines are set up pretty much identically, networking wise, but the one having issues is a new machine with an FX 8350 / 16 gigs ram, while my old laptop from 2010 is doing the same transfer no problem. Plus, only the explorer process is lagging beyond usability, which seems a bit odd.

Any ideas on what I can look at?

I know you say you've checked settings, but have you compared them to the settings on your other two machines, to check (particularly the advanced settings) they're the same across your devices?

What's the folder_rescan_interval setting set to on the device you're having an issue on?

I know you say you've checked settings, but have you compared them to the settings on your other two machines, to check (particularly the advanced settings) they're the same across your devices?

What's the folder_rescan_interval setting set to on the device you're having an issue on?

Yes, settings are the same, folder re-scan is 600.   If everything is synced up, it's fine/fast.   It's as soon as I make any kind of change to a folder that it becomes slow.    I actually think there are 2 things going on at this point - I believe there is something causing explorer to run slow like this when it's syncing, but also there is a problem with certain file types.

For the file types, I had a folder with about 100 excel documents.   If I modify one of them, it will hang explorer almost instantly due to the sync, but the additional problem is that it does not free up.  It seems like it never syncs those files properly!   It shows with a little up arrow in the directory list in the app, and 25k to sync up.   It never goes away.   So now I have a zip file and put all the excel files in there.  I edit/add them to the zip file as needed.  No more issue.    Now it just slows down explorer as soon as I modify the zip file, but within a few minutes it's synced and speeds back up.

Sync cannot transfer files whilst they are open/locked/in use by other applications. If Excel is open, this may be why your excel documents are not syncing. Closing Excel should then allow these files to sync. However, this shouldn't cause Explorer to "hang" - can you just confirm that you have no other backup/synchronization software running in parallel with BitTorrent Sync?

Files are definitely not open.   I can even modify the excel, then reboot the computer and when it boots back up, explorer is crazy slow.  It's not until I remove the file, or stick it in the zip file instead that it speeds up (after syncing).

The only other thing I run is CrashPlan - a backup software.  On this machine however, it is not backing up those directories.

• 4 months later...

hi,

Sorry to dig up this topic, but I have exactly the same problem.

I have a Synology NAS with community package of btsync on it (not the lastest website version). It works ok.

I set up a MSI  GE60 laptop, with windows 7 to sync with the nas, using 1.3.106 version. It has decent hardware but nothing crazy, and it seems to works well.

I finally set up btsync,1.3.106 version, on a windwos 7 desktop, intel i72600K, 16Gb ram, ok hard disk drive. I synced the same folders as on the laptop, plus a few more ( roughly 10), for a total of i think 200 Gb or something.

At first, the desktop was doing ok. But now, ~1min after I start btsync, the explorer becomes unresponsive. CPU usage is OK, almost idle. And 30s after btsync becomes extremely laggy as well, but everythin that is not using the HDD on wich the folders are ehaves ok. I have no idea whats goind on, the configuration is the same on both PC. Sometimes I have to force reboot.

I enable logging before leaving this morning, I hope it will give something, because I'm a not sure btsync is actually running on the desktop after this few minutes.

Thanks

Aurélien

Edited by napseis

Hi,

I have 30 peers some connected to wifi's which are all connected to the same internet router, others on other LAN's in different places. They have to sync 2GB of files in 30 folders. They all have in some synced folders write access.

Since last week everything is very slow; could it be a port problem? if the slow speed would be due to blocked ports, how is it then possible that peers are seeing each other (in the devices tab)? What is a good way to configure the port to use in the preferences tab? Is it relevant for peers using the same port or just not to do that? I also noticed strange behavior: when disconnecting the router to the internet, all peers on the LAN synced immediately, reconnecting the router made the speed go down again to 0,2 Kb/s...

Any experience advise is welcome!

@napseis

What is your amount of files and folders? It could happen with extremely high amount of files/folders. Also, as you say, when issue comes - many apps that work with HDD become slow and unresponsive. I suggest checking the speed of HDD in general, make sure that your IDE/SATA controller also works in DMA mode.

@ChrisFPol

Peers can "see" each other via Tracker (port 3000) or via multicast over port 3838, while data transfer implies direct connection over random port (configured individually for each Sync instance). So it is possible that peers see each other but are unable to connect directly due to ports blocked. In this case they try to connect thru relay server - which gives them a very slow speed.