One Way Sync With 'read Only' Secret.

ryleto

Hello.

I was under the impress that by sharing a Read only secret of a file, that files will be synced but any changes wouldn't be sent over after syncing?

This is my set up:

Folder on PC (with photos) Copy the Read Only secret -> Folder on my NAS (set up pasting in the read only secret).

Now if I paste a photo in the NAS folder, it won't sync back which is correct.  If I place them in my PC folder, they sync over, which is great.  However, when I delete the photo's from my PC's folder, they are also deleted in the NAS folder.

Is this an error, or a limitation with the software/not what it was meant to do.

I basically just want to automatically backup this specific folder, and then to save space delete its contents every now and again, knowing they are safely stored on my NAS.

This is not currently possible with BTsync.

The only way this can be achieved is the photo backup option on the mobile clients. Once activated it syncs the main photo folder on iOS/Android and when a photo is deleted on the phone, the photo remains on the connected btsync clients. This option/mode does not exist on the other desktop/server versions of btsync.

I cannot confirm the behavior for a "Backup" setting on the phone. Photos I delete are moved to the .SyncArchive folder like with a read-only secret. I am quite sure they will be expired from the .SyncArchive folder once they hit the time limit.

I have tested this only with an iPhone device and was under the impression it would be the same for Android devices as well. Sorry, if it isn't.