Iwork 13: Numbers, Pages And Keynote On Mavericks

• 2 months later...

They look like folders because they are folders.

The move away from using files by OS X apps is intended to make stuff like Sync better. For example of you have 40 photos embedded in your pages document, and change two paragraphs of text, it won't have to sync all the photos again.

Why can't BT Sync properly handle a file that is replaced by a folder?

brandbrilliance

Just did a test in the lab: saved some doc in old format (iWorks 09) to sync folder (was synced as a file), then edited it and upgraded to new format, saved (after sync folder replaced the file). Could you please share what happens in your case?

I have two computers. iMac and Macbook. Copy the file into the iMac, then let it sync to the Macbook. Then Edit and upgrade it on the Macbook and save it. Then it doesn't correctly migrate it on the iMac. It's as if it doesn't detect the "file" changed to a "folder" and it overwrites the file on the iMac. Note that when you upgrade the file, ensure that you are OFFLINE (not online). This is typically what happens with me.

I update a file when I'm working offline at an internet cafe, then when I return home, I re-connect back onto the local wifi home network and when the bit torrent sync starts, that is when the problems start.  

In addition, I've had to switch to Dropbox for my iWork Admin (quotes, invoices, expenses) files, because it's the only app with iOS sync that correctly works with iWork 13 files, since your iOS app still views these files as folders.

• 1 month later...

I am having similar issues. I have an iMac and a MBPro, both running Mavericks. I sync them some times directly, some times via a win7 PC (for firewall issues). It appears that when the two macs do not communicate directly (i.e., when one of them is switched off), then iWorks "files" some times get corrupted. In particular, I had a pages document where the index.zip file inside the package did not sync properly, and thus the file was unusable.

What I have noticed since the last update is that while I am working on a document (on one of the macs) I keep getting messages that the file had been modified on the disk. This has not previously been the case, and I suspect that it has to do with some syncing issues as well (but I have no real evidence for this assumption). Could it be that BTSync is syncing to the PC, the PC can not handle the pages package and possibly destroys it, and then BT syncs the damaged package back to my mac. Meanwhile, pages tries to autosave and finds a modified document.

Has anybody had and solved this problem?

I am running the newest version of btsync (1.3.94) on all three machines and this issue has happened with pages 5.2 only (not the older version, where a document is stored as a file)

Edited by kyamon