Error: Sync_Max_Time_Diff

bycebroadcast

We are having problems with Synchronizing between Windows 7 and Windows XP, SP3.

The error, though not accurately captured, is "Sync maximum time difference is more than 60 secs" We tried changing this time under Preferences > Advanced  and altered the Sync_Max_Time_Diff by reducing and adding the time difference but didn't work.

We are running BT Sync Ver.1.1.48  synchronizing between 2 Windows 7 PC's works fine.

Firstly, do as Harold has indicated.

If this doesn't resolve your issue, INCREASE the value "sync_max_time_diff", don't decrease it!!

The default is 600 (seconds), meaning that Sync should still work if your devices clock's are within 10 minutes of each other. As you appear to have set this quite low (60), this means that all your devices would need to have clocks within a 1 minute difference of each other at all times for Sync to function correctly.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am having a time difference sync stopped error problem, sync stopped: device time difference more than 600 seconds. I read alot about this problem and the solution is always wrong times and/or time zone between computers, but this doesn't seem to be the case here.

I successfully used Bitorrent sync on two windows xp machines, a Macbook Pro, and a iPad 2.

Today I upgraded the two xp machines to windows 7 due to the coming issue of no more xp patch support. I have the SAME time, SAME time zone on the two windows 7 machines and the Macbook Pro.

They don't sync now and give me this time error. But the times and time zone are exactly the SAME?

I couldn't find anyone else with this problem.

Anyone with any ideas?

thanks

Herbta, try removing the share from the systems it is not working on and then add it back in. You do not have to delete the data, just open BTSync, click the folder tab, select the folder, click Remove Sync Folder, hit ok. Then click Add a Sync Folder and point back to the same location and add the secret. Also make sure you are running the latest version of the BT Sync client on all nodes. And since you upgraded the OS, if the previous two ideas don't work try uninstall, reboot, install for BTSync.

Today was a DLS adjustment automatically performed by Windows adding 1hr to the clock time.

As a result, 1 node that used to sync without problems up to yesterday, now shows in my log as though I am +2 hrs. off of him and now his node displays the dimediff error msg. And it also shows that the remaining amount to be uploaded to him is the entire share, even though he is fully synced.

Interestingly enough, there are several more nodes on that share and they do not display the timediff error msg. and show that they are fully synced.

"Time does not go back"? - False

The design assumption that "time does not go back" is groundless.

The O/S or anything, for that matter, does not and can not prevent you from setting your clock time to anything you wish for whatever reasons you have.

For example, you may decide to set your clock YEARS back in order to touch some files to update their time stamps.

The computer clock time is what its clock says. Nothing more, nothing less. No assumption may be made that "time can not possibly change this way, logically speaking". Because, reality speaking, it can.

Update #1

Btw, one example of it is DLS time adjustment when clock automatically goes back 1 hr., at least on Windows.

Herbtea101,

I can advise trying to determine what is the GMT time on your PCs to see which one has incorrect timezone. For Linux and Mac you can run "date -u" in terminal, for windows command a bit more complex: "for /f %%x in ('wmic path win32_utctime get /format:list ^| findstr "="') do set %%x" (you might need to put it in batch file).

There is no way I know to determine the same for iOS.

To get BTSync working, calculated GMT time on your peers must be equal.