Sync Vs Backup

giosico

• 3 weeks later...

Hi iceboy,

Sure.

1. Open your BTSync on Android. Tap "Add folder"

2. Choose folder you want to backup, tap "Next"

3. Deliver the secret to your PC in some way (mail, manual, etc.)

4. Install BTSync on PC, add new folder in BTSync, put the secret you've got in step 3.

5. (Important) in Preferences->Advanced settings find "sync_trash_ttl" parameter and set it to "0".

All photos you delete on Android are going to be moved in .SyncArchive folder on your PC, so step 5 is necessary to ensure that BTSync on PC never deletes them from SyncArchive (by default it deletes file from .SyncArchive after 30 days).

• 1 month later...

Hi iceboy,

Sure.

4. Install BTSync on PC, add new folder in BTSync, put the secret you've got in step 3.

5. (Important) in Preferences->Advanced settings find "sync_trash_ttl" parameter and set it to "0".

All photos you delete on Android are going to be moved in .SyncArchive folder on your PC, so step 5 is necessary to ensure that BTSync on PC never deletes them from SyncArchive (by default it deletes file from .SyncArchive after 30 days).

Point 5 seems to be pretty important (to me at least) that I think it should be set as a default value of any new Backup or read-only Sync folder.

I think it would also be important to set the option 'Restore modified files to original' as ON by default for read-only Sync folders

I have played around with the Backup feature on an Android phone and a Mac now and there are some issues I found.

1. If you rename a file in destination and then delete it from the source, it will not be deleted in the destination
  2. It was not initially clear (to me) from the property option 'Store deleted files in SyncArchive', that by unticking this option files will be permanently deleted in destination on sync if they have been deleted on source. I was thinking that they would just linger behind as an accumulative backup folder. I think this option could be split into two other options: If files have been deleted on other peer computers: 1) Move them to SyncArchive <checkbox>, 2) Leave untouched and ensure no duplicates <checkbox> (like the  'Left untouched' option in CCC), 3) Delete permanently (if active, deactivates 1 and 2) <checkbox>... And I think the option: If files are deleted in backup folder > 'Restore modified files to original' should be grouped together with these options. 

Feature request

This is probably out of scope for BTSync, but I think it could be cool if it could do sourcefolder-to-destinationfolder-on-same-machine accumulative sync like CarbonCopyCloner. I make video and photography and the way I work with backups is to first import files on my main computers SSD disk in organised subfolders, and then when I am finished with the project and these folders have backed up to external drives, then I delete them from the main computer to make room for a new project. An accumulative process.

@pokho,

Thanks for the feedback. Let me share my comments.

Point 5 seems to be pretty important (to me at least) that I think it should be set as a default value of any new Backup or read-only Sync folder.

Think of it from another POV. If user changes file in RO peer - he understands what he is doing and he wants to keep modified file rather than one from remote peer. This looks to be more user-friendly.

I have played around with the Backup feature on an Android phone and a Mac now and there are some issues I found.

This is the way BTSync works. When you change (delete) the file in RO folder - BTSync remembers that this file is no longer a subject to sync. So it won't keep an eye on it anymore. Even if you rename it back and delete same file on RW peer.

As for your feature request - put it also in the Wishlist, so we can keep track of it.

• 2 months later...

Hello all, 

New to this, but also wanted same feature: delete mobile photos to reclaim space, but also same the file on my computer.

This seems to work on IOS, but not on Android.

My trick was to change NTFS permissions on backup/upload folder, to Deny; Delete + Delete subfolders and files.

Permissions was set on user running Sync-service. (typically logged-on user).

History log still says the file is removed, but it persists:)

Happy backing up my phone now :)

-Trond

Using the instructions in this thread, I have set up Bittorrent Sync to automatically upload my photo roll. But now I'd like to delete the photos once I have confirmed that they have been uploaded.

Is there anyway to confirm what photos have been uploaded from the Android app? Is there no way to see from the Android app what files have been synced?

• 4 weeks later...

i.e. when you take more photos on your camera, and run Sync, sync will "backup" these new photos to your external computer

Does this mean that I have to run Sync on my phone manually for the backup to start or as soon as I take a photo, the photo will be backed up?

@ioan, Sync needs to be running to backup your photos to another device. If Sync isn't running, your photos will be backed up the next time Sync is run.

Still not clear enough for me :-) BTW, my question is for Android. Doesn't Sync have a service that runs in background all the time watching for changes in the folder selected for backup?

Edited by ioan

Still not clear enough for me :-) BTW, my question is for Android. Doesn't Sync have a service that runs in background all the time watching for changes in the folder selected for backup?

At the moment, there is no background service, the application is only running when you see the notification icon is shown in the notification area. And I like it that way :)

At the moment, there is no background service, the application is only running when you see the notification icon is shown in the notification area. And I like it that way :)

I'm running the app on Nexus 5 (android 4.4.4). The Sync notification is there and shows as running. I have a backup setup for the camera pictures folder. If I take a picture, nothing happens until I actually start the Sync app, then I see "2 devices online" and the upload starts... Shouldn't the upload start automatically if the BitTorrent Syinc notification is there and shows it as running?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi iceboy,

Sure.

I have followed all the steps and when I delete a file on the phone it also deletes it on my PC. WHen I set the value it puts an asterisk to the left of the 0. Screenshot here https://imgur.com/4WtM1x5

• 1 year later...

Is it possible to make an pure backup folder like the ones that is avaible on the Android app on an PC to NAS?
With RO if I delete something on the nas side, it wont sync to my pc, but I want it to be like  that if I delete something on my PC it wont sync back to the nas, but sync new things to the nas.