Btsync On Raspberry Pi Woes

p1neapples

Foreword - I posted this in Debian and Ubuntu main but am re-posting in main as recommended by Tuxpoldo.

I've installed BTSync on my RPi with RaspBMC solely for syncing camera rolls for my iPad, and mine and my wife's iPhones.  That said I have the folders additionally syncing to my MBPr and Dell Inspiron Win 7.  The purpose is to sync mobile devices when ever and then others populate whenever they are up and in use.  For a few weeks, it worked flawlessly, and then weird stuff happened.  A few details on the setup at the bottom if it matters.  For the past month sometimes it works great, sometimes not so much.  Randomly when the Pi syncs, it's 0.0 kB/s, other times very slow (not indexing related) at 50 kB/s or below and sometimes totally normal at over 750 kB/s.  Sometimes my devices don't connect at all.  Any help is appreciated with ideas.

Other notes on my setup:  

-Pi Model B 512MB

-RaspBMC up-to-date

-BTSync 1.2.82

-I changed indexing to 86400 sec (one/day)

-RPi is a static IP in my LAN

-Internally UPnP is enabled

In addition - this is the 2nd time I've set the Pi up as the first time I attributed it with "maybe I just need to start over".

Edited by p1neapples

Config less sensitive data is below.  Looking at this...could it be the API key?  I wouldn't think that would matter.

//!/usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon --config
//
// Default instance automatically created by debconf
//
// DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE MANUALLY - SERIOUSLY!!!
//
// THIS FILE WILL BE OVERWRITTEN AT EVERY UPDATE
// OR RECONFIGURATION SO DO NOT EVEN TRY IT
//
// USE dpkg-reconfigure btsync INSTEAD TO MODIFY
// THE CONFIGURATION
//
{
"device_name": "InstanceRPi",
"storage_path" : "/var/lib/btsync",
"listening_port" : 0,
"check_for_updates" : false,
"use_upnp" : true,
"download_limit" : 0,
"upload_limit" : 0,
"disk_low_priority" : true,
"lan_encrypt_data" : false,
"lan_use_tcp" : false,
"rate_limit_local_peers" : false,
"folder_rescan_interval" : 86400,
"webui" :
{
"api_key" : "awesnap123456",
"listen" : "0.0.0.0:6011",
"login" : "theguy",
"password" : "ohthereisonebutthisisnotit"
}
}

Config less sensitive data is below.  Looking at this...could it be the API key?  I wouldn't think that would matter.

//!/usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon --config

"api_key" : "awesnap123456",

OK - the API key you entered is definitively NOT an official API key from BitTorrent Inc. I have no idea what happens, if an invalid API key is supplied. Perhaps btsync goes in a sort of "Punishing mode"? Does anybody here know it? Now I would suggest to invoke

sudo dpkg-reconfigure btsync

and remove the API key. BTW: debconf says: "To enable the BitTorrent Sync API, an API key supplied by BitTorrent must be specified into the configuration file. If leaved empty, the API of BitTorrent Sync is disabled (default). API Keys can be requested on the BitTorrent Web Site."

Why did you think you could enter something random? Remember: "If you break it, you own both parts"

Hi p1neapples,

Couple ideas.

- How many files do you have in general on your RPi device? Are they stored on SD card / external drive? My guess is: sync is going slowly when BTSync indexes folder (USB and Ethernet controller are sharing the same bus in RPi). It is also worth checking how long the file indexing takes in general

- Also, when you get the slow sync issue, you can try to occupy the rest of the bandwidth between your RPi and PC. It might happen that issue is not in BTSync, but RPi can't transfer faster by some reason.

- Finally, you can collect debug logs and send it to me for analysis. Speed issues are usually very complex to identify, but your logs might contain a hint if something is going wrong on your peers.