Starter Problems...

Lukastt

Hi Lukastt,

BTSync uses 2 mechanisms to detect new files in sync folders:

1) system notifications. Very fast technique, but it is not fully reliable and hardly depends on OS notification mechanism. To a make sure that all changes are detected, there is a second way:

2) full folder rescan every 10 minutes (configurable)

I suspect that BTSync does not receive OS notifications by some reason. Could you please check if your folders start syncing automatically within 10 minutes after you change something or you still need to restart?

I suspect that BTSync does not receive OS notifications by some reason. Could you please check if your folders start syncing automatically within 10 minutes after you change something or you still need to restart?

Hi,

it seems to sync every 15 mins.

How can I check/solve the problem with the os notifications?

I'm using 64bit.

Lukas

Could you please share details of your OS and environment? Full version, security software (also with versions) if any, disk encryption utilities with versions (if any).

Hi,

it's a Debian Wheezy (uname -a -> Linux machine_a 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.54-2 x86_64 GNU/Linux).

Latest Updates are installed.

No extra security-software, No disk encryption.

Lukas

Wheezy is using glibc 2.13 or newer, so it definitely supports notifications. Only one thing I can think of is that your sync folders has excessive amount of files and OS ran out of inodes

Could you please run the following command from command line and copy-paste me an output?

df -hTi

Thanks!

Dateisystem                                            Typ      Inodes IBenutzt IFrei IUse% Eingehängt auf
rootfs                                                 rootfs      15M      37K   15M    1% /
udev                                                   devtmpfs   249K      375  249K    1% /dev
tmpfs                                                  tmpfs      251K      315  251K    1% /run
/dev/disk/by-uuid/28d078eb-b955-43f1-9072-ee60ef5617b9 ext4        15M      37K   15M    1% /
tmpfs                                                  tmpfs      251K        3  251K    1% /run/lock
tmpfs                                                  tmpfs      251K        2  251K    1% /run/shm

What about the file Owner? The files are owned by the Users, btsync runs an root. Could that be a problem?

Lukas

Hi,

sorry but I dont really want to post this log because there is a lot of personal data.

I created a log but cant find anything that sounds critical.

It starts syncing every 10mins  with the well knows lines in the log:

incoming connection from...

Piece x complete

blocking peer temporarily

nothing about problems with the filesystem.

btw: where can i configure the sync every x mins?

Lukas

is it possible that the 64 bit OS is the problem? i never had problems von 32bit...

Lukas,

It is hard to identify what is happening without a log. I still suspect that you are out of notify objects. Could you do another simple thing in your Linux: try viewing some log with "tail" command and see if it succeeds or fails.

Full folder rescan can be configured to happen more often, but it is going to cause extensive disk usage (read), see Preferences, Advanced, folder_rescan_interval.

64 bit OS should not be an issue, inotify should get working well.