Why Totally Disable The Web Ui When Defining Shares In Config?

fragtion

I'm quite baffled by the fact that the Web UI is completely disabled without any option to choose otherwise when specifying the shared_folders in a config file.

How are we supposed to monitor the precise details about each folder's indexing, sync, traffic, and connected peers status? The logs are very vague on this and mostly just report errors

I can understand that web configuration would be disabled as a safety feature to prevent conflicts with the config file, but it should at the very least rather just switch to a read-only means for monitoring the daemon unless a command-line argument to see such status is available. If we want to disable the web interface, we can remove the configuration directive, but if it's purposely kept in there yet completely ignored by the app for seemingly no reason, then that should be considered a bug/problem if anything

I can't seem to find any other way of doing this right now without enabling the web-based configuration again, which of course I have done

So unless the web-UI is in fact a recent development which will ultimately phase out the config definitions, then some kind of status monitoring for config-defined shares should be quite an urgent priority to resolve, surely? I initially switched to the config file hoping for more control as I usually prefer working with configs, but it seems the opposite effect was achieved and I had to revert

Edited by fragtion

• 3 weeks later...

I totally agree to this. I also reverted back to web UI and this was one of the reasons. Also the config file seems to be ignored for few settings.

How are we supposed to monitor the precise details about each folder's indexing, sync, traffic, and connected peers status? The logs are very vague on this and mostly just report errors

@RomanZ:

The config file already use JSON formatting i.e. it should be editable with some kind of library for config files.

Is it not possible to make changes from the UI, which then get saved to the clear text file, rather than as a database? Vice versa, when I make changes to the config file whilst running btsync, changes could get parsed as soon as atime/ctime/mtime etc change.

The config file already use JSON formatting i.e. it should be editable with some kind of library for config files.

Is it not possible to make changes from the UI, which then get saved to the clear text file, rather than as a database? Vice versa, when I make changes to the config file whilst running btsync, changes could get parsed as soon as atime/ctime/mtime etc change.

Agreed. This makes a lot of sense, and would avoid a lot of user confusion if the config file and UI could co-exist without one disabling the other!

nils, GreatMarko,

Thanks for your proposals. I was imprecise in explaining a reason. Currently they are conflicting, therefore was disabled to avoid glitches.

The issue is more in the lack of time (due to other features and important bugfixes) to implement solution which will allow co-existing of both config and webUI.

So - let's keep it in wishlist for now.