Linux Desktop Gui Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

And again a new version:

btsync-gui (0.7.3-1) unstable; urgency=low  * Added function for editing the .SyncIgnore file (Closes #98)  * "Open Manual" renamed to the more correct "Open Original Manual"  * Fixed occasional malfunction in "Open Web UI" (Closes #100)  * Added menu item in folders context menu for editing the    .SyncIgnore file (Closes #98) -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Sat, 15 Mar 2014 18:04:23 +0100

Ladies and Gentlemen,

it's time to present the next milestone: the next release will mainly focus on providing a localised version of the btsync-gui. You can follow the progress of the development here.

Since I'm both native speaker for German and Italian, I can create both localisations without any help, but contributions for any other language will be highly appreciated. Future translators should know that there are two good sources to take into account when contributing:

• BitTorrent Sync on Windows or Mac is a good source, since the GUI is extremely similar.
  • Also the server packages for BitTorrent Sync are a good source, since many volunteers have contributed in localising many strings regarding the internal settings. 
If you want to contribute to the localisation, please follow this link: https://poeditor.com/join/project?hash=447194402f4913165d4ae5f2fc60ffca

If you miss your preferred language in the localilsation project, please leave a short notice here, and I will add it to the project.

Edited by tuxpoldo

Hi Piece_Maker,

don't panic! You have not broken anything. As written in the initial posting:

In client mode, the GUI can be used to access a remotely running BitTorrent Sync agent. The only prerequisites are that the remote BitTorrent Sync agent is reachable from your computer, you know the credentials and the API access is enabled on the remote agent.

This means: if you want to connect to a remote agent, you need to enable the API by providing an API key in the configuration file of that agent. The internal agent is started with an API key that is owned by me, but if you have a more complex scenario with many servers that you want to access remotely with the GUI, you have to request an API key from BitTorrent Inc. You can do this here.

If you do not have such an API key, you can only use the btsync-gui in Standalone Mode with the agent automatically launched by the GUI.

You mentioned that you have also a problem launching the GUI in standalone mode, but you forgot to describe that problem. Can you please tell me more?

This explains a lot - I wasn't trying to connect to a remote btsync daemon, just my local one that gets started on boot with systemd :D I guess this still requires the API key.

My problems running standalone-mode are fairly similar though. The options when clicking the system tray icon are mostly greyed out (Namely the Open WebUI and Open BitTorrent Sync... options).

Ladies and Gentlemen,

and here it is! The long awaited localised version of btsync-gui:

btsync-gui (0.8.0-1) unstable; urgency=low  * Remember column sizes (Closes #101)  * Added I18N support (Closes #102)  * Added German translation by Leo (Closes #103)  * Added Italian translation by Leo & Andrea (Closes #104)  * Added French translation by Loïc Fournet (Closes #105)  * Added Spanish translation by Jose Luis Tirado (Closes #106)  * Added Dutch translation by Jasper Sierink (Closes #108)  * Added Galician translation by Miguel Anxo Bouzada (Closes #109) -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Wed, 19 Mar 2014 14:09:36 +0100

Martin Wimpress is working hard on releasing not only the new version for Arch Linux, but also on improving the documentation in the Arch Wiki.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

after the release of 1.3.67 I made some tests and discovered that basically the release seems to work both with the server as the desktop GUI and user package. Nevertheless I noticed some different behaviour (much slower API access) and I'm a little bit afraid in publishing the new release without any tests made by more persons. Because of this, I will release the binary package for 1.3.67 today only on the YeaSoft repository and not on the Launchpad PPA (this will affect only about 30% of the users).

If there will be no really serious problems reported until tomorrow, I will publish the package tomorrow also on the Launchpad PPA.

btsync-common (1.3.67-1) unstable; urgency=low  * New upstream release -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Wed, 25 Mar 2014 15:25:12 +0100
Have fun and let's hope everything works as expected....

Duh.... Launchpad has scheduled the builds a lot of time later:

• amd64: Start in 41 minutes
  • armhf: Start in 6 hours
  • i386: Start in 38 minutes
These times are not really reliable. Sometimes it takes twice the time, sometimes, if one or more build in the queue fail, it may start immediately...

I'm having an issue with it: after a successful install on Linux Mint 16 running on Intel 64, I can load folders in and I've got the folders to show up on each computer, but the Linux status (in my menu) is always "Idle" and it won't actually transfer anything. Note: transfer seems to work from the mac to the linux, but not the other way around.

I'm having an issue with it: after a successful install on Linux Mint 16 running on Intel 64, I can load folders in and I've got the folders to show up on each computer, but the Linux status (in my menu) is always "Idle" and it won't actually transfer anything. Note: transfer seems to work from the mac to the linux, but not the other way around.

This seems rather more to be a problem of the btsync executable itself, more than the GUI. In any case it may be related to one of the bugs fixed with 1.3.77. Unfortunately I'm still not able to provide the new package since the internal download location is not available for this release and one binary is missing in order to create the packages.

This seems rather more to be a problem of the btsync executable itself, more than the GUI. In any case it may be related to one of the bugs fixed with 1.3.77. Unfortunately I'm still not able to provide the new package since the internal download location is not available for this release and one binary is missing in order to create the packages.

Oh well, guess I'll have to wait. Thanks for your help!

hey tux,

how can i restart btsync-gui from the terminal?

thanks,

jaithn

There is no special way to do it. But you can do the following:

pkill -u $(id -u) -f btsync-guibtsync-gui

The only problem is, that you have to keep the terminal window open... Or instead of restarting it from the terminal window, you can start it from the application launcher..

Ladies and Gentlemen,

and again I'm pleased to announce a new version:

btsync-gui (0.8.1-1) unstable; urgency=low  * Added transfer status indicator to all tabs of the main    window except for the preferences pane (1.3 UI)  * Added detailed API timing info to logging  * Added default support for new advanced preferences of    version 1.3 (Closes #119)  * Added Czech translation by Marek Lucas (Closes #111)  * Added Russian translation by Sergey Shlyapugin (Closes #112) -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Mon, 01 Apr 2014 19:31:29 +0100

Ladies and Gentlemen,

and again I'm pleased to announce a new version:

btsync-gui (0.8.2-1) unstable; urgency=low  * Added Bulgarian translation by Atanas Kovachki (Closes #121)  * Added Polish translation by Damian Szymański (Closes #123) -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Sun, 06 Apr 2014 18:28:06 +0200

Hi people, i have a problem with btsync after last update.

My system is Ubuntu 12.04 x64, and i use btsync-user package from launchpad repo.

After starting btsync-agent works for some time fine, but then stalls with CPU usage 100%, and i must kill and restart btsync for keep synchronization going. I use btsync for live sync of workspace while working with eclipse.

Hi people, i have a problem with btsync after last update.

My system is Ubuntu 12.04 x64, and i use btsync-user package from launchpad repo.

After starting btsync-agent works for some time fine, but then stalls with CPU usage 100%, and i must kill and restart btsync for keep synchronization going. I use btsync for live sync of workspace while working with eclipse.

This issue is a known issue of 1.3.80 and is discussed in this thread.

BTW: The discussion thread for btsync-user is this one.

Hey Community!

I have a Qnap NAS with Bittorent Sync and two Computer with btsync-gui. On both computers I use Ubuntu 13.10

With one of the Computers I have problems with btsync-gui. The software freeze time to time so I have to kill the process. On the other computer I don't have any problems. So I don't what the reason is, on both systems I use

Version 1.3.80
Linux UI Version 0.8.2

If you need any Log-Files, I need to know how I can create it.

Thanks for your help!

Sallo

UPDATE:

Might be it's the same problem from two posts beforel. I try to go back to 1.3.77

Edited by Sallo

I would say: try to go forward to 1.3.86 ;-)

In any case you can see more, if you start btrsync-gui on a terminal. It outputs it's log messages directly to the terminal. You can also increase the log level from the command line and also make this change persistent.

The log file is stored in ~/.btsync/btsync-gui.log

I would say: try to go forward to 1.3.86 ;-)

In any case you can see more, if you start btrsync-gui on a terminal. It outputs it's log messages directly to the terminal. You can also increase the log level from the command line and also make this change persistent.

The log file is stored in ~/.btsync/btsync-gui.log

FYI, I swapped in the 1.3.86 btsync binary in for btsync-core and btsync-gui is working with it perfectly. Fixed the problems leaking filehandle issue I was seeing with 1.3.80.  First time using the gui package over the user package and I really dig it.  Thank you! 

BTW, would be cool if the ~/.btsync local store could be moved to .local/share/btsync/ .  Totally a personal preference though and I understand if it won't work or mess up the current implementation.  Thanks for the great front-end!

Ubuntu x64 13.10