Linux Desktop Gui Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

Hi, first of all thanks for making this application. It's really what I've been looking for, integrates nicely with Unity etc. I've migrated from Ubuntu One to btsync without any problems.

I'm having one small problem though, it doesn't bother me but I thought I would report it anyway.

The tabs for Transfers and History are not working, due to "Cannot implement due to missing API". I have seen other people on webupd8 who were also affected by this.

HdKpzYR.png

wbqLR0B.png

Also, another bug for me is that when you try to change the Listening port in Preferences, it behaves really strangely when I type in numbers. For example it's impossible to type 9999. When you type a number it will quickly go to 1025 or 65534 (I understand this is the range that is allowed, but it seems hard to change the text to values which are exactly in this range...). To change numbers I need to select them one by one and even then it doesn't always want to change. For example if your first number is a 9, it will immediately change the entire number to 65534.

Thanks again for your hard work.

( Ubuntu 13.10 / btsync 1.3.87 / btsync-gui 0.8.2 )

Hi, first of all thanks for making this application. It's really what I've been looking for, integrates nicely with Unity etc. I've migrated from Ubuntu One to btsync without any problems.

I'm having one small problem though, it doesn't bother me but I thought I would report it anyway.

The tabs for Transfers and History are not working, due to "Cannot implement due to missing API". I have seen other people on webupd8 who were also affected by this.

HdKpzYR.png

wbqLR0B.png

Also, another bug for me is that when you try to change the Listening port in Preferences, it behaves really strangely when I type in numbers. For example it's impossible to type 9999. When you type a number it will quickly go to 1025 or 65534 (I understand this is the range that is allowed, but it seems hard to change the text to values which are exactly in this range...). To change numbers I need to select them one by one and even then it doesn't always want to change. For example if your first number is a 9, it will immediately change the entire number to 65534.

Thanks again for your hard work.

( Ubuntu 13.10 / btsync 1.3.87 / btsync-gui 0.8.2 )

I am also affected by his findings. Would like to get an easy to implement answer. Or how to generate an API key

I successfully in stalled btsync-gui on ubuntu 12.04 but I cannot access the interface.  I have two bitsync icon in my launcher now,

BitTorrent Sync and BitTorrent Sync Management.  The latter (management) launches the web interface, the former does not launch anything....

Just to be clear; I'm looking to install the Window's style user interface.

Thanks for any help

Thanks for all the work you're doing on this, tuxpoldo.

Yesterday I installed Lubuntu 14.04 and btsync-gui on my laptop, but btsync-gui doesn't seem to start when I log in. I can easily start it from the menu and it works fine (except I also get the report API errors mentioned above).

Thank you!

This is not a bug. The phrase "Cannot implement due to missing API" means that I cannot implement this functionality, since the BitTorrent Sync API currently does not provide any function that would return the needed data, but it is planned to implement this in the future.

See Issue #75 and Issue #76.

Mhhh. I think I will have to improve the way the input fields make sure, that only valid data can be entered. I know... it is strange and will work on it. Promise! See Issue #130

Cheers,

Leo

Edited by tuxpoldo

Ladies and Gentlemen,

and again I'm pleased to announce a new version:

btsync-gui (0.8.3-1) unstable; urgency=low  * Made columns in "Folders" and "Devices" pane persistently sortable  * Hide unimplemented panes "Transfers" and "History"  * Added support for custom secrets (Closes #113)  * Implemented support for restore modified files in read-only folder    settings (Closes #127)  * Added passive support for encrypted secrets (Closes #129)  * Improved input field handling (Closes #130)  * Localisation improvements -- Leo Moll <leo.moll@yeasoft.com>  Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:35:10 +0200

• 3 weeks later...

Just updated to linux mint 17 (based ubuntu 14.04) and it will not connect:

in the log:

2014-05-16 11:45:20,870 - WARNING - BtSync API HTTP error: 401
2014-05-16 11:45:25,879 - WARNING - BtSync API HTTP error: 401

2014-05-16 11:45:37,795 - WARNING - BtSync API HTTP error: 401 

edit: a computer restart solved it

• 4 weeks later...

I am not savvy enough to give feedback or be a guinea pig. Just wanted to say THANK YOU after recently switching to fulltime Linux (Mint 17). I was desperately missing the convenient access to BTS... until now.  You saved me some headaches and made my mornings a little bit easier.

Tuxpoldo, thank you very much for all your work. I must using btsync-user and now btsync-gui is really nice.

I have a question, I am running xubuntu 12.04 (will be upgrading to 14.04 sometime in July) and btsync-gui works well when I physically log in to the computer. When I log out, btysnc-gui usually remains active in the background - I can connect to it from other computers and sync files. I really like this behaviour because it eliminates the need for me to setup a server. However in the last couple of days I have noticed that it is not running and I have noticed this from work when I try to sync files.

Is there a way to start btsync-gui so that it runs in the background from an ssh terminal? If I execute btsync-gui I get the following message:

$ btsync-gui
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/btsync-gui", line 30, in <module>
    from btsyncguiapp import GuiApp
  File "/usr/lib/btsync-gui/btsyncguiapp.py", line 35, in <module>
    from gi.repository import Gtk
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/importer.py", line 76, in load_module
    dynamic_module._load()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/module.py", line 224, in _load
    overrides_modules = __import__('gi.overrides', fromlist=[self._namespace])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py", line 1533, in <module>
    raise RuntimeError("Gtk couldn't be initialized")
RuntimeError: Gtk couldn't be initialized

Which I would expect as there is no x server running. With btsync-user, it would give a similar error but would start btsync so that I could use it remotely.

Should I look at setting up the btsync as a server? I really don't need one, I use my linux box at home as a regular computer. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

UPDATE:

Upon closer examination it seems to be working as expected on my linux box. I am able to connect to it using my personal laptop (win 8.1) over the wireless at work. I just can't see it with my work laptop (win 7 also connected to the wireless). My personal laptop can see both the work laptop and the linux box at home. I don't believe it is a btsync-gui issue but rather a network or firewall issue.

Edited by bluebill

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently using a 'light' theme that makes my taskbar/tray have a white background. Is there a 'dark' btsync icon that I can use so that btsync can be visible?

Thanks!

I'm aware of this problem. I'm still thinking about how to solve it. Basically I could provide a second set of icons with a different name, but in that case I have to provide an internal mechanism to switch between them (or try detecting the effective colour of the bar. I'm still thinking about it. In any case I created Issue #136 in order to track this important feature. 

• 2 weeks later...

At startup the GUI freezes for a few seconds (just showing the tray icon), but after that, the app works fine for me. Nice work.

Two minor suggestions:

- When clicking the tray icon, the window should also minimize (hide).

- Unlike the icon issue above, for me, the big white circle icon on my dark control panel is sticking out too much. An alternative darker icon one could choose would be very cool. :)

Edited by texturate

At startup the GUI freezes for a few seconds (just showing the tray icon), but after that, the app works fine for me. Nice work.

Two minor suggestions:

- When clicking the tray icon, the window should also minimize (hide).

- Unlike the icon issue above, for me, the big white circle icon on my dark control panel is sticking out too much. An alternative darker icon one could choose would be very cool. :)

I will take this post as occasion for sharing some insights in the future development of btsync-gui and give some outlook on the next version.

Let's start with the icon stuff: This is a known issue and also other users have asked for it (See Issue #136). The next version will provide support for selecting a dark set of icons. Since the Icons are included (and also stored on GitHub), feel free to send me your proposals for modified versions. There are two different approaches to provide different icon sets, and I'm quite not sure which one to take:

1. Store all icons inside the package (with different names) and let the software decide which one to take. This implies modifications to the software each time an icon set is added.
  2. Store the icons in separate (dependent) packages (btsync-gui-icons-light, btsync-gui-icons-dark, btsync-gui-icons-xyz, etc.) providing the same functionality (btsync-gui-icons). This would permit to create an infinite number of icon sets without adapting the software but would generate some overhead in packaging...

Let me know what you think about it.

About "Click to minimize": Nice idea. I think I will implement it (if possible).

About the short GUI freezes: this is an ugly thing that affects also some other future developments. Let's start with some explanation: currently btsync-gui is a single threaded application. This means, that at (originally) regular intervals the application requests status data using the sync API in order to keep the GUI updated. The number of these calls directly proportional to the number of shared folders. During this operation, the GUI freezes since the application is not able to process user input. This was not relevant, since the API calls were very fast. With 1.3.x something has changed and the processing time of the API calls has considerably slowed down. In order to avoid API flooding, I implemented a dynamic poll interval that will be computed based on the measured duration of the API calls. Currently I'm trying to implement also some active notification (See Issue #137) and the major problem I have is that I need to add more API calls (that would additionally increase this problem).

For this reason I'm seriously planning to make a major redesign of the application trying to separate the internal GUI management from the status refresh mechanism in two separate threads... (and here I have to learn how to implement multi-threaded GUI programming in Python).

I think that the next release will not address this problem but only contain some UI enhancement (like the icon thing). After that, I will start this major redesign - but perhaps I will also wait for BitTorrent Inc. to release an updated version of the Sync API before starting some major work.

I love the look of btsync-gui. Very nice to have the same appearance as the Windows and Mac versions.

But I can't get it to work. When I tried to create a secret for a folder, I got the error message:

Destination folder cannot be identified. Would you like to reset ownership?

(See the attached screenshot.)

The folder ownership was

drwxrwxr-x   9 btsync    adm 

to match a user I had set up before I updated btsync.

The command

ps -ef | grep btsync

showed /usr/lib/btsync-common/btsync-core and python /usr/bin/btsync-gui

owned by "jim", so I changed the ownership of the folder to "jim", so it now looks like this:
   drwxrwxr-x   9 jim    adm
I still get the error.

Thanks for thinking about this,
   Jim

post-29896-0-10053800-1404582436_thumb.p

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I just want to say that i'm learning to fumble my way around Linux so if this has been mentioned or is a stupid Q, sorry.. 

Essentially what I need is for BTsync to stay open as long as the VPS is and if it gets restarted. I want it to boot then too. I have it running on Debian with Gnome installed.

Have I missed something here. Everything I think I have read depicts it launching at log on but not boot. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am running Ubuntu raring (13.04) and have just installed btsync-gui. It's nice having the same look and feel as the Windows and Mac clients, but I lost all the read-only secrets I had distributed to other users to access my repository.

I tried to set up new read-only secrets, but got the error:

Destination folder cannot be identified. Would you like to reset ownership?

Should I uninstall btsync-gui and go back to the standard btsync from bittorrent?

Looking forward to your help,

Jim

Hi, 

I just want to say that i'm learning to fumble my way around Linux so if this has been mentioned or is a stupid Q, sorry.. 

Essentially what I need is for BTsync to stay open as long as the VPS is and if it gets restarted. I want it to boot then too. I have it running on Debian with Gnome installed.

Have I missed something here. Everything I think I have read depicts it launching at log on but not boot. 

From your description I would say that perhaps the server package is more suitable for your needs, since you will not need btsync as a desktop application for the currently logged in user but as a background service provided by the server. Please take a look at this thread and consider moving to the server package. Make sure, you understand the implications (permission stuff, different storage location of internal settings and database, etc...) before moving.

• 3 weeks later...