Linux Desktop Gui Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

After the new install I goto http://127.0.0.1:9999/ it says "authentication required" and asks for a u/p as per design. So I did "btsync-gui --webui --bindui 0.0.0.0 --username MyName --password MySecretPassword --savedefaults" literally pasted into the terminal and get "Default settings saved."

...but the u/p combo MyName/MySecretPassword won't log me in! What am I missing?

You have to restart the whole thing for the changes to become effective. That's all.

Tuxpoldo, I am enjoying using your GUI system on my Ubuntu 13.04 (32-bit) system, 

Do you have plans to use BTSync version 1.4.x in what you distribute?

I have read lots of bad things about it.

(I just used /strings/ to look inside btsync-core on my Ubuntu 13.04 (32-bit) system, and found BitTorrent Sync 1.2.82.)

Thanks,

Jim

Hi

I've have a strange behaviour on my computers using debian jessie. After starting bittorrent by autostart i am not able anymore to click on the icon in the message tray. This behaviour only happens with bsync-gui while with btsync-user i am still able to click on the btsync icon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've have a strange behaviour on my computers using debian jessie. After starting bittorrent by autostart i am not able anymore to click on the icon in the message tray. This behaviour only happens with bsync-gui while with btsync-user i am still able to click on the btsync icon

I second this. Using btsync-gui under Gnome Shell seems to render the icon inactive. Either with a manual or autostart..

Tuxpoldo, I am enjoying using your GUI system on my Ubuntu 13.04 (32-bit) system, 

Do you have plans to use BTSync version 1.4.x in what you distribute?

I have read lots of bad things about it.

(I just used /strings/ to look inside btsync-core on my Ubuntu 13.04 (32-bit) system, and found BitTorrent Sync 1.2.82.)

this might a basic question, but how do I update btsync-gui to 1.4.103beta? I am using xubuntu and apparently reinstalling the whole package doesn't work.

I wrote this for sure many times, but it makes sense to spread this information as often as possible:

The repositories on Launchpad (the famous ppa:tuxpoldo/btsync) are only available for supported versions of Ubuntu. After an Ubuntu version becomes unsupported, it is not possible any more to upload software updates on it. That's the reason, why people using Ubuntu 13.04 does not get any updates to the packages.

If you really want to continue using an unsupported version of Ubuntu, you should switch to the YeaSoft repositories, since they provide updates of the btsync packages also for older Ubuntu versions. Please see the initial posting to find information about how to add the YeaSoft repository.

• 4 weeks later...
Do you see any reason to use the web UI when the application itself offers all possibilities of the web UI?

I do...

When I went to my Android app for BitTorrent Sync....  The "Camera Backup" feature only provides a link... ( not a Secret ).

The btsync-gui does not seem to let me enter a link.

Also, the link doesn't seem to work using a browser.

I was at a loss...... on how to get the Camera Backup to work....

Then I discovered that the Web UI *does* allow you to enter a link....  and it worked.

It appears that there is still more functionality in the Web UI than exists in the application.

• 1 month later...

Im on Ubuntu 32b 12.04. When I goto the icon in the task bar and goto "open web ui" it tries to open localhost port 9999 which fails. When I open the bt sync itself it has a different listening port, but accessing that in the browser does not work. How do I check which port is in use and/or set it?  1.1.103 / 0.8.5

• 2 weeks later...

I can't connect to the client mode via web UI at http://127.0.0.1:8888/ (default settings), and I don't get any GUI when clicking the Bittorrent Sync from start menu. Rebooting doesn't help.

Runnin pgrep -lf btsync I get the following:

2213 python /usr/bin/btsync-gui2282 /usr/lib/btsync-common/btsync-core --config /home/user/.config/btsync/btsync-agent.conf

which suggests that the GUI is running, though. I noticed there is no file /home/user/.config/btsync/btsync-agent.conf Is this as intended?

Any ideas?

I am unable to start 1.4.110 and getting this error message:

root@dl-maa-00391506:/var/tmp/tem# service btsync start
 * Autostarting btsync instance 'debconf-default'                                                                                                        * Failed to start btsync instance debconf-default - please check the configuration file /etc/btsync/debconf-default.conf
root@dl-maa-00391506:/var/tmp/tem#

after my previous shutdown of this version I ran the btsync (2.0.51) once and shut it down due to other sync issues and want to rollback. Please help.

I can't connect to the client mode via web UI at http://127.0.0.1:8888/ (default settings), and I don't get any GUI when clicking the Bittorrent Sync from start menu. Rebooting doesn't help.

Runnin pgrep -lf btsync I get the following:

2213 python /usr/bin/btsync-gui2282 /usr/lib/btsync-common/btsync-core --config /home/user/.config/btsync/btsync-agent.conf

which suggests that the GUI is running, though. I noticed there is no file /home/user/.config/btsync/btsync-agent.conf Is this as intended?

Any ideas?

Yes. The GUI is running. You should see an indicator icon and you should be able to invoke the UI via the indicator menu. If you do not see the btsync indicator icon, you should try to run the ui from the command line and see if any error message is produced. Here an example:

leo@debpoldo ~ $ btsync-gui --log INFOINFO:root:Starting btsync agent...By using this application, you agree to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use and End User License Agreement.http://www.bittorrent.com/legal/privacyhttp://www.bittorrent.com/legal/terms-of-usehttp://www.bittorrent.com/legal/eulaBitTorrent Sync forked to background. pid = 15653. default port = 8888INFO:requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTP connection (1): localhostINFO:root:Refresh status...INFO:requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTP connection (1): localhostINFO:requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTP connection (1): localhostINFO:root:Refresh status...INFO:requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTP connection (1): localhostINFO:requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTP connection (1): localhostINFO:root:Refresh status...INFO:requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTP connection (1): localhostINFO:requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTP connection (1): localhostINFO:root:Refresh status...INFO:requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTP connection (1): localhostINFO:requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTP connection (1): localhostINFO:root:Refresh status...INFO:requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTP connection (1): localhostINFO:requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTP connection (1): localhostINFO:root:Shutting down application...INFO:root:Stopping btsync agent...INFO:requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTP connection (1): localhostleo@debpoldo ~ $

btw: it is OK that the configuration file is missing. It is deleted immediately after launch.

I am unable to start 1.4.110 and getting this error message:

root@dl-maa-00391506:/var/tmp/tem# service btsync start
 * Autostarting btsync instance 'debconf-default'                                                                                                        * Failed to start btsync instance debconf-default - please check the configuration file /etc/btsync/debconf-default.conf
root@dl-maa-00391506:/var/tmp/tem#

after my previous shutdown of this version I ran the btsync (2.0.51) once and shut it down due to other sync issues and want to rollback. Please help.

1. You are posting in the wrong forum. You issue seems related to the Server Version of the package.
  2. I suppose, you have installed the server version and than replaced the original btsync executable with the 2.0 one. I have bad news for you: There is no way back, since the internal database is not compatible. The only way to work again with 1.4.x is to remove entirely the database created by 2.0.x (you will probably find it in /var/lib/btsync).

With 2.0 stable now released, are there plans to upgrade btsync-common and the YeaSoft repositories to the latest version in the near future? I’ve been waiting for the new version before I deploy but I want all of my machines to be running 2.0.