Linux Desktop Gui Unofficial Packages For Bittorrent Sync

Hi Folks,

in a few days (perhaps tomorrow) I will update the packages in the repositories to BitTorrent Sync 2.0. The discussion in the Server Package Topic has shown that there is a group of users that do not want to update to 2.0 and prefer staying on 1.4. In order to make this possible, a new repository has been created. If you want to stay on 1.4, you should read this message very carefully and follow the instructions below immediately, because I will publish the update to 2.0 in the next few days (perhaps tomorrow) and any old version will be updated if you do not change the repository.

If you already have any BitTorrent Sync package installed:

$(which sudo) rm -f /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tuxpoldo-btsync*.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/btsync.listsh -c "$(curl -fsSL http://debian.yeasoft.net/add-btsync14-repository.sh)"

If you want to install BitTorrent Sync 1.4 on a new machine:

sh -c "$(curl -fsSL http://debian.yeasoft.net/add-btsync14-repository.sh)"

Hi tuxpoldo,

Just made this account to say: thank you! (=

I'm an Ubuntu user and some apps like BT Sync are really hard to install. Well luckily you made a package so I don't have to worry about updating. (I really think BT's devs should make an official Ubuntu package but well...)

It's good to hear you keep it all updated I'm exited to get 2.0. I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into this.

Greetings,

One of the many Ubuntu users.

Edited by pelleling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi tuxpoldo

Is it correct that the GUI dosn't work with 2.0? if i add a folder from the GUI it is a 1.4 folder, but if i launch the webui and add a folder it is 2.0, however it doesn't show in he GUI.

Anyhow, I would like to help translate the project to danish. I've found your POEditor page, but can't add a language myself

Hi tuxpoldo

Is it correct that the GUI dosn't work with 2.0? if i add a folder from the GUI it is a 1.4 folder, but if i launch the webui and add a folder it is 2.0, however it doesn't show in he GUI.

Anyhow, I would like to help translate the project to danish. I've found your POEditor page, but can't add a language myself

This may be happening: If you install the version downloaded from getsync.com, you get v2.0 and access it through the webui. If you also load the gui version using your software repository, it appears to be stuck at 1.4, so you get that when you use the GUI. In otherwords, you may have installed both versions. I know I did that myself in trying to get this to work on Linux Debian Jessie.

But there still has not been an answer to my question: are we supposed to be able to install v2 for Linux GUI desktop, or is that still awaiting release? I do not understand.

Its more than six weeks since tuxpoldo has posted here, and no-one has responded to my question. It is making me suspicious that there is some fatal problem with the linux version of Sync v 2.0, perhaps with implementing the placeholder-only partial sync, which is what I want.

Perhaps the company needs to put funding into the Linux version of this product, rather than relying on a volunteer effort? I am a paid subscriber to Sync Pro, largely in the expectation that I would be able to use it with partial sync on Linux, Mac and Windows.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1.4 version setup on Ubuntu using the http://ppa.launchpad.net/tuxpoldo/btsync/ubuntu repository.

Now I see that that repository is still active but then I am finding (Google search) the "debian.yeasoft.net" on http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/19560-debian-and-ubuntu-legacy-desktop-unofficial-packages-for-bittorrent-sync/.

I would like to update to v2.0 but I am not sure how to proceed?

What is the difference between the two repositories?

(Also, if the forum restricts me to one post a day until I have "X" number more approved posts. Getting answers here might take days? Why restrict?)

• 2 weeks later...

in a few days (perhaps tomorrow) I will update the packages in the repositories to BitTorrent Sync 2.0.

I join those who are confused about whether btsync-gui-gtk is expected to work with BitTorrent Sync 2.0. I use the following repo:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/tuxpoldo/btsync/ubuntu trusty main

This contains v. 1.4 (btsync-common) as well as v. 2.0 (btsync-core & btsync). I am under the impression that btsync-gui is not yet ready for 2.0 so I'm still running v. 1.4. Would you confirm the current status of btsync-gui wrt BitTorrent Sync 1.4/2.0?

• 3 weeks later...

<bump>

My question about whether Linux GUI for btsync 2.0 will ever be available is still not answered. Does anyone have any information about this? There has been nothing from tuxpoldo since March, when he wrote that it would be ready in "a few days". It all seems a bit of a mystery...

I can't start Btsync on Ubuntu after re-installing.

SITUATION:
The connection with the Android broke.  It seems the Android upgraded to 2.0, and my Ubuntu version stayed 1.4.  I received never-before-seen "Database errors" on Adroid.  I tried re-connected the folders, which solved problems for me before, but this time I couldn't get the links accepted.  It kept insisting that I upgrade by ubuntu.

ATTEMPTED SOLUTION:
After a couple hours of failing to get new links recognized, I thought I'd reinstall the software on both my phone and Ubuntu.  Reinstalling on Android seemed easy.  To uninstall on Ubutu:

find / -name ".sync" -type d -exec rm -rf {} \;

find / -name "btsync*" -type f -exec rm -rf {} \;
sudo apt-get uninstall btsync-gui;

Then I tried to re-install:

sudo apt-get install btsync-gui;
sudo apt-get update;

Now when I run /usr/bin/btsync-gui I get the error:

** (btsync-gui:10200): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-UGbE......: Connection refused
CRITICAL:root:Failure to start btsync agent - exiting...

Can anyone help?

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

I am running linux mint 17.1 64 bit.

cinnamon version 2.4.8

and still running on btsync 1.4.111 Beta, I do not know what is wrong but the update to 2.0 is not happening. I also changed the added sources information from unstable (because that is what mint is getting detected) to trusty.

stays the same, how do I get 2.0 running with your sources?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm running btsync on one old laptop with Ubuntu Lucid and, upgrade is not an option, once this stated here I go with my issue.

Until now everything worked ok, even the transition to 2.0.

Few months ago was the last time that I used the GUI in this particular machine, just now I tried to use it and found that instead of the GUI a terminal opens and states "HTTP 1.1 401 unauthorized"

I tried to type manually the ip of the GUI on the web browser and seems down.

The packages installed from the Yeasoft repository are:

btsync 1.0-2

btsync-common 1.4.111-1

btsync-core 2.0.93-1

O/S Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The changes in the API from 1.4 to 2.0 are making it very difficult to adapt the same functionality.

It might never get full functionality.

I just installed the server package of version 2.0 on my desktops, that works fine. You can use the web-gui for configuration.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the unofficial Arch Linux AUR-packaged btsync-gui that compiles from the GitHub sources. Recently the btsync-gui has been failing to launch and spits out the following error message:

Error while parsing config file: Invalid key 'i_agree'WARNING:root:BitTorrent Sync seems to be crashed. Restarting...
Error while parsing config file: Invalid key 'i_agree'^CTraceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/btsync-gui/btsyncstatus.py", line 150, in btsync_connect
def btsync_connect(self):

I thought I'd ask about this problem downstream since the upstream support on the AUR is lacking right now (Arch is in the process of migrating the AUR to a new platform). My setup is: Linux user-name 4.1.3-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any help or insights would be appreciated. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Did you try going to Settings -> Advanced, and selecting the "Use Key" option

As much as I like the GUI application and the work that has been done I'm thinking of going to the webbased version so that I can have 2.0 working on my linux systems.  Can someone explain how to uninstall the gui package and reinstall the webbased version?

Thanks,

Wayne

• 1 year later...

Pls fix formatting of sudo commands.

Pls see the screenshot of the commands for Ubuntu users to start installing. The way the web page is formatted, less experienced users would select the whole line and paste into terminal window. But the line contains two commands, which need to be done in sequence. (They could appear on one line, with a semicolon or && between them, but two lines would be safer.) Perhaps the two commands were typed in on two lines, but the wiki software made them display on one line.

Hats off to you guys for putting this together, but let's remember less experienced users.

Linux GUI installation command formatting.png

• RomanZ locked this topic