Possible Memory Leak Windows 2008 R2 With R/w Share

noiime

I had to change one of our main server for a server with Windows 2008 R2 and since then, I'm struggling with a huge memory leak. The more BTS is using memory the less transfer speed I get.

Here's a description of the shares

Folder 1 = 594,4 GB in 345 files R/W

Folder 2 = 5.5MB in 205 files R/W

Folder 3 = 344.4 MB in 3 files R/W

Folder 4 = 45.5 MB in 13 files R/W

Folder 5 = 721.7 GB in 316 files R/W

With Windows 2008, after 10 hours BTS is using around 1800MB of memory and the transfer speed is below 1KB/s. After a while, 1 day or 2, BTS close silently without information in the sync.log or in the Windows event viewer.

Same computer/same share but with Windows 8.1, after 10 hours BTS is using 120MB of memory and the transfer speed is around 1.5 - 2 MB/s

*** Note that we got over 40 clients with windows 2008 R2 with R/O share. BTS is using around 100MB of memory so, it seems somehow related to R/W share?

I've done a lot of testing and it seems that effectively BTS has a memory leak when serving R/W share with Windows 2008 R2

Here's a description of the equipments I used:

First computer:

- Xeon X3220

- 6 GB of RAM

- 1 x 500 GB (OS drive)

- 3 x 2TB in Raid 5 (Drive that contain shares)

- Windows 2008 R2 & Windows 8.1

Second computer:

- I7-4770

- 8 GB of RAM

- 1 x 500 GB (OS drive)

- 1 x 2TB (Drive that contain shares)

- Windows 2008 R2 & Windows 8.1

The first computer is the new server that I wanted to use.

** It's a little bit old but it should be able to handle BTS very well, in fact it’s working great with Win 8.1!!

I thought that maybe the problem was with Windows 2008 having some kind of hardware incompatibilities.

So, I tried with the second computer, totally different & newer!

The result is almost identical as for the first computer.

I also thought that the problem could be with  multiple share but even with a single share, the leak is present. It just take longer before BTS used all the memory and die quietly.

Except for normal operations, there’s nothing helpful in the debug log.

Sorry my bad's!! :blink:

It's happening with all the version I have in hands, 1.2.82, 1.2.87, & 1.2.91

I was reviewing the post and realize that I can give a little more info.

- All tests were done with shares that were fully indexed.

- My last 10 hours test was done last night with Rev. 1.2.91

- Those PC are dedicated to BTS, no other software or roles

- Fresh Windows installations fully updated

- Firewall is OFF in both case

Tell me if I can do something else to trace down this leak or, if you need more info.

Tx

• 4 weeks later...

The leak issue is still present with 1.3.67 & 1.3.77 / Windows 2008 + R/W share.

There's another issue, and maybe it's related, it's regarding transfer speed.

Right after installing 1.3.67 or 1.3.77, the upload speed is around 6 MB but after an hour, or so, there's a lot of connected peers but the transfer is 0KB like in the picture in this link: http://tinypic.com/r/ngf1cp/8

Once BTS begin acting like this, there's no way to get a proper transfer speed again.

Always 0KB and a lot of peers in the transfers tab.

As soon as I downgrade to 1.2.91, the transfers are stable again, as long as the memory usage is low!

What it is troubling me is that there's nothing unusual in the debug log for both issues!?

Anybody else is stuck with these issues?

Any ideas someone?

tx

*** Since Windows 2008 R2 only exist in 64bit flavor, I didn't thought it was relevant to mention it but, just in case, now you know.  -_-

Edited by noiime

noiime,

Could you please:

1) Make a couple of debug logs on problematic peers. Make sure to set log_size to ~100-200 Mb, so the issue will get into the log for sure.

2) Make a dump of a process when it becomes obvious that memory is leaking (say, it consumed 1Gb of your mem).

All of the above for 1.3.77, please as it has numerous fixes comparing to older builds which might affect behavior.

Thanks!

Romanz,

I just reinstalled 1.3.77 and, like you ask, I will leave the debug log ON and make a dump as soon as BTS reaches around 1Gb of memory.

** Note that it could take approximately 10 hours.

Correction, I just saw that there is a new version 1.3.80!

I will do the 10 hours test with the new version instead of 1.3.77 and I'll let you know

Edited by noiime

Just for info, I confirmed the leak it is still present with 1.3.80.

** Good news, the "0KB transfer & many peers in the transfers tab" bug seems to be gone!

We had strong winds in our region last night as for, we lost electricity for many hours.

It kinda ruined my 10 hours test :angry:

Before the power outage, BTS was consuming around 600Mb of memory

I will let it roll again today, I should be able to send you the debug log & a dump files tomorrow.

Romanz,

I've sent you a PM with info on how to download the dump & log files.

** Good news, the "0KB transfer & many peers in the transfers tab" bug seems to be gone!

That's not true, it is still acting like this except it, took a longer time before it show up again.

Thanks a lot for your help!!