How Does Versioning Work?

ru2

I read this on the FAQs for BitTorrent Sync:

Yes, versioning is available in BitTorrent Sync. It creates and stores all the old copies of edited files for the period of 30 days (this default period can be changed in General advanced preferences - sync_trash_ttl). The versions are stored in the hidden .SyncArchive directory within your sync folder that you can open by right click on the sync folder and choosing 'Open SyncArchive'.

Old versions of a file are marked by adding numbers to its name, where the file with the highest number is the latest.

However, I am testing this out, and I only ever see one file in the .SyncArchive folder when the file is resaved with changes - there are no numbers appended or anything. Do I need to turn something on in the preferences/settings somewhere? Any help would be appreciated.

I also notice this issue and want clarification. I do not see versioning in the syncArchive folder. I have done rearranging/reorganizing of subfolders in the last week. There are folders which show up in syncArchive because they've been deleted on one device. But, I don't see any versioning for changes made to the same file.

Hi all,

Versioning is working in next way: every time sync is delivering new file, the old one is moved to .SyncArchive. If SyncArchive already contains one, then ".n" is added to the name of file, where n increases from 2 and to ~4 billions.

Note, that it is not every time when you save the file. It takes around 10-20 seconds to actually start the sync, so if you are saving file often - it can kick off the timer again.

There are 2 settings which might affect behaviour: in folder preferences there is a checkbox "Store deleted files in SyncArchive" (which is checked by default) and in global app preferences, advanced:

- max_file_size_for_versioning, default value is 1000 (Mb), which means that files bigger are not stored in SyncArchive.

- sync_trash_ttl, default is 30 (days), indicates how long files are stored in SyncArchive folder.

If you change your files, changes are synced to other peers and other peers do not store it in SyncArchive with increasing number - it sounds like a bug. Details (file types, OS&environment, debug logs) are appreciated.

Thanks for the response! We just tested this out again (doing a change to the file a day later), and I do see there was a versioned file created now (with a '1' on it). I think this was pretty confusing initially because when the program restarts, the .SyncArchive is also reset? So all the versions/files probably reset and we just didn't realize it.

It doesn't make much sense to me that when it's restarted, you essentially lose all your backups. That is a deal breaker for us to use the program since that is not very dependable.

when the program restarts, the .SyncArchive is also reset?

It doesn't make much sense to me that when it's restarted, you essentially lose all your backups.

Files in .SyncArchive should persist for however long your "sync_trash_ttl" setting is set to (by default, this is 30 days). So please check your value for this setting