Android 4.4.2 Doesn't Have Permission To Write To This Folder.

Raccoon

I upgraded to Android 4.4.2 and tried to setup a new folder to be synced and got the error in the title.

I'm trying to save it on the memory card.

Infact the folder selector of btsync can't even create new folders, so it doesn't have permissions for the whole card.

It works for the internal memory though. Quite odd?

There is a new Xposed module for Android that will allow any app to write to external storage called HandleExternalStorage:

http://repo.xposed.info/module/de.defim.apk.handleexternalstorage

If you're new to Xposed, your phone needs to be rooted. I use lots of Xposed modules. Information on the Xposed framework is at:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1574401

itcrowd

You've chosen a wrong folder, Android won't let BTSync to write data there. Please make "/Android/data/com.bittorrent.sync" folder on your SD card. BTSync is going to work just fine if you select the folders inside it to Sync.

Hi, I know that the syncing is working well on the SDcard, but the the external card is bigger than sdcard and there are lot of data which should be stored and synced.

otherwise my phone is not rooted and I don't want it.

I just want to use my external SD on and on.

thank you RomanZ, it is working well, but there are other issues for me. 

Let me think what kind of problem there is.

* I have to organize my folders => all of them should be moved into BTSync folder

* my folders will be deeper in the tree structure on external SD => I cannot easily manage them on Android

* I have to change some parameters of Android program (e.g. Quickpic - default picture folders, Keypass password database)

:( 

after all it is my problem, it is not yours.

The SDCard and External Card should essentially be the same thing.

I don't think so. SDcard is a internal storage and it is integrated into mobile, The external can be removed and changed.

I read a lot about it and I can see that basically Google doesn't want you to use externalSD. Basically all apps on KitKat are prohibited from writing on External SD except onto one designated directory (i.e., "/Android/data/com.apppackage.name"). no 3rd party apps are allowed to write anywhere else on external SD.

The BTSync is a 3rd party apps.

I'm so mad at Google! I would like to use nasty words. ;)

Itcrowd,

* I have to organize my folders => all of them should be moved into BTSync folder
* my folders will be deeper in the tree structure on external SD => I cannot easily manage them on Android
* I have to change some parameters of Android program (e.g. Quickpic - default picture folders, Keypass password database)

That's right. However, if an app wants to write data to a folder - it is restricted to its "home" folder on SD card now by the very OS. And BTSync must write some service data to sync folder, even if this is a RO folder.

We'll see if it would be possible to change it and make at least RO folders possible on any location on Android 4.4. ExtSD.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing around with the Btsync folder on my SD card, it does work syncing folders I created, but the issue is that I can't seem to find a way to backup my phone Camera default folder automatically. Is the only solution to duplicate my pictures from the default camera folder on my SDcard to the btsync folder in order to have them backed up? Am I missing something here?

zucrapoc,

If you are using Android 4.4 - BTSync is forced to sync only its "home" folder by OS.

I've heard that when you remove an app on 4.4.2, its home folder gets deleted automatically. I can't test that, but will the BitTorrentSync app's home folder--and the user's data--get deleted if they uninstall?

Itcrowd,

Sorry, I was not precise. Please try to make this folder on your external SD card, it should start working. Android 4.4 should let BTSync read/write data to "/Android/data/com.bittorrent.sync" on ExtSD with no issues.

Hi..

Do you know how app like ES File Explorer can create/delete/rename/copy/paste files in any folder on the ExtSD?

I'm using Galaxy S4; 4.4.2; unrooted. I can cut & paste files from "/Android/data/com.bittorrent.sync" to another "/Android/data/xxxxxxxxx" folder.

sparda79,

These apps are subjects for same limitations as BTSync. Are you sure that you did not root the device? Once rooted - you can easily overcome the limitation.

My S4 is definitely not rooted. I'm fine so far without root.

I've confirmed this using root checker.

What I (ultimately) want to do is, sync my photos & raw files between a folder in my PC with my device, and using RawDroid to rate & tag these photos.

Based on KitKat's limitation, this is impossible since both BTSync & RawDroid can only write in their own 'allowed' folders on the ExtSD.

However, what I can do is transfer these .CR2, .JPG & .XMP files (and folders) between BTSync & RawDroid 'allowed' folders using ES File Explorer.

How is that possible since ES is also subject for the same limitations?