Btsync And Open Files

basilh

Hi,

Once you figure it out, BTSync is a brilliant product! The only gripe I really have is with the documentation.

For instance, it's not altogether clear to me how BTSync treats open files. I've seen snippets of information deep in some of the forum posts that suggest that it doesn't sync open files, but it's not obvious.

I know you can do things like take snapshots and back those up to circumvent the open file issue, but this is advanced user stuff and would just bamboozle your everyday user.

I'd like to see something in the user guide about the treatment of open files maybe in the FAQ. I'm also not sure whether the client software will advise the user when it skips a file because it is open. Food for thought.

If a file is open/locked/in use by another process or application, Sync will skip it for the time being, but will keep retrying until the file becomes accessible again, at which point, it will then transfer.

In current versions of Sync, 1.2.x, the only way to see which specific files have been "skipped" is via searching the log.

In the forthcoming Sync 1.3.x, however, a "Sync Queue" is available for each folder through the UI, which indicates which files/folders have yet to be synced.