Restore From Backup

basilh

With two-way sync on a mobile phone, a restore operation seems to be quite obvious. I understand it to be pulling the lost file(s) out of .SyncArchive on the backup host and they should reappear on the mobile in due course.

With the mobile app backup option, I understand this to be a one-way sync. In this case, the restore operation isn't quite as obvious. Is there a quick way to restore files from the backup host if this becomes necessary?

basilh,

There is no built-in function to restore backed-up data in BTSync. You can proceed with one of 2 ways:

1) remove folder from btsync, re-add it as RW - data gets synced to mobile device.

2) connect your mobile device to PC with cable, load the data back to device.

Thanks RomanZ. It does beg the question 'Of what value is one-way sync if two-way sync does a similar thing, but has the advantage of facilitating the restore operation?' Put another way, under what scenarios might one-way sync be preferable to two-way sync?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks RomanZ. It does beg the question 'Of what value is one-way sync if two-way sync does a similar thing, but has the advantage of facilitating the restore operation?' Put another way, under what scenarios might one-way sync be preferable to two-way sync?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Well, two way sync in the general public applications may turn into a disaster if some r/w nodes are operated by the people who do not quite understand all the nasty details that may arise, or if some "bad" guy wants to sabotage the system and starts doing all sorts of crazy things to raise havoc on this share.

Secondly, one way sync is preferable in the situation where there is a reference version of the information not to be modified by anybody, no matter what.

So, the two way sync is preferable ONLY in the situation where you know exactly who is who and what is what and are certain that no one will attempt to do some harm to the information or "screws up" things inadvertently.

The "bottom line" is:

For general public applications, two way sync is an invitation to disaster, which will happen inevitably, sooner or later. It is just a question of time...