Bittorrent Sync 1.3

RomanZ

Dear all,

I’m happy to announce the BitTorrent Sync 1.3 public release.

Changes affected all supported platforms, plus we are proud to introduce support for a new platform: Windows PhoneDetailed change list:

Desktop changes

• Support TCP connectivity between peers, tracker and relay (work when UDP is not available)

• Greatly reduced parasite traffic when between peers, tracker and during LAN search

• Improved behaviour with case-insensitive file systems (rename correctly)

• Extended attributes (OS X) and file streams (Windows) support

• Improved getting started assistant

• Sync notifications redesigned

• New advanced option: external (NAT) port can be configured

• Optimized folder indexing

• Added log rotation

• Fixed issue with permissions transfer on Linux and Mac during initial scan

• Fixed issue with sync getting stuck after folder removal

• Fixed issue when deleted files get restored after peer comes online

• Fixed issue when new version not checked on Linux and FreeBSD

• Fixed replacing invalid chars with "_" after sync

• Fixed sync stuck issue due to case-sensitive rename

• Fixed indexing hang when unable to access folder due to permissions

• Fixed sync hang due to network change until app restart

• Fixed Linux executable attribute loss when file modified on Windows PC

• Fixed app crash when entering invalid secret

• Added log rotation value in Advanced preferences

• Fixed several issues with freeze on Mac

• Fixed missing notifications

• Fixed issue with updates on Linux

• Added tooltips in Devices tab on Windows

• Fixed occasional app crashes

• Fixed stream appearing as file.com.apple.metadata after updating 1.2.91.

• Fixed issue with executable flag dropped after merging changes from win client to linux client

• Fixed issue with merging files tree

• Fixed issue with file moved to .SyncArchive after renaming (change case of letter).

• Fixed app hang when trying close app.

• Fixed check-for-updates issue on Mac

• Fix for Linux sync issue

• Fix for the crash on encrypted node

• Cosmetic fixes and changes

• UI improvements

Android-specific changes:

• Fixed issue with app crash on switch from wifi to 3G

• Fixed crash on first run and help on Android 2.2

• Removed mobile-to-mobile share tab

• Fixed issue with auto-sleep

• Fixed issue with QR recognition

• Added ability to cancel selective sync files

• Fixed issue with cellular data usage

• Android 4.4 ExtSD limited to OS designated folder

• Cosmetic fixes and changes

iOS-specific changes:

• UI redesign

• Add possibility to share your sync folders via email, QR code or other apps from folder preferences bar

• Improved Auto-sleep and other battery saving options

• Optimized mobile data usage

• Made "Open in" option available while tap and holding

• Added filters in folder view

• Other fixes and improvements

You can get Sync for all the platforms here

Awesome! Thanks for the update! I'm excited to see where this project is going..

/e and my first complaint about the new "My Sync" and "Devices" Tab.

If I have multiple shares called "Stuff" it's not easy to see what the parent path of the share is..

For my Sync Shares I have something like this (take a look at the screenshot)

C:/BTSync/
        + Shares
            + Sam
                + Stuff (is a single share)
                    + ....
                + Dropbox (is a single share)
                    + ....
                + Temp (is a single share)
                    + ....
            + Dean
                    + ....
                    + ....
                    + ....
            + Zoe
                    + ....
                    + ....
                    + ....
        + Local (is a single share)
            + ....
            + ....

For me it's now hard to see who the shares belong to or to be more accurate what Share I share with.

I know I could hover over the folder name but that's as quick. Since there are now columns would it be to harsh to ask wether you could make an option to turn on a "View full path" column?

post-33284-0-72097100-1395773353_thumb.p

I know I could hover over the folder name but that's as quick. Since there are now columns would it be to harsh to ask wether you could make an option to turn on a "View full path" column?

If you "hover" your mouse over the folder name in the "My Sync" or "Devices" tab, its full path will be shown on a tooltip

Well there is that.

IMO there is plenty of space to show, optionally, the full path or the path to the share in a seperate column.

IMO there is plenty of space to show, optionally, the full path or the path to the share in a seperate column.

Agreed! - might be something that needs to go in the Wishlist though so that the developers can gauge the level of reaction to the removal of the permanent display of full paths from the UI in 1.3.

It was actually something that was brought up in alpha testing of 1.3 - so you're not alone! However, the "compromise" during development was to have the full path shown in tool tips (early 1.3 builds didn't even have this! - so a tool tip is currently better than nothing!)

The Wishlist is kind of awkward.. I don't know what it is but it feels like that this is just a thread to dump ideas that never get picked up.

Also this, the column I have in mind,  shouldn't be a "feature" to post on a so called "wishlist" this is just a basic thing that should be standard.

I want to be able to sort the shares list on name of the share, size of the share or its path.

For example jDownloader. Geez you have dozens of columns to add and since the lack of the path is introduced in 1.3, my opinion and the discussion should be here in the the thread.

The wishlist thread is also somewhat redundant :-D .. well that's another story

(early 1.3 builds didn't even have this! - so a tool tip is currently better than nothing!)

it sure is. But it doesn't make any sense to me why the completely got rid of the ability to show it.

The Wishlist is kind of awkward.. I don't know what it is but it feels like that this is just a thread to dump ideas that never get picked up.

The wishlist thread is also somewhat redundant :-D .. well that's another story

I know it feels like a "dumping ground" - but really it's not! The developers do frequent that thread and are using it as a basis to determine the popularity of suggestions from the community. That's why you don't have to first trawl through it to see if you're suggestion has already been made by someone - just make it again! The more suggestions a particular feature receives, the more popular the suggestion is to the developers.

If instead someone starts a new topic in the forum requesting a particular feature, the topic soon get lost as it makes it's way ever lower down in the forum over time as more new posts are made above it, increasing the chances that the post won't be seen/remembered by the developers. This is the reason why the "Wishlist" thread is there and is pinned to the top of the forum - so the developers can see all user contributed ideas/suggestions in one place.

Also this, the column I have in mind,  shouldn't be a "feature" to post on a so called "wishlist" this is just a basic thing that should be standard.

Agreed. But in the absence of a "Things that shouldn't have been removed from Sync - wishlist" :lol: , the main Wishlist thread is the place to request bringing back such functionality.

I want to be able to sort the shares list on name of the share, size of the share or its path.

It's a very good idea and would indeed be very useful, and as this hasn't been present in Sync before, this would certainly be a "feature request".

But it doesn't make any sense to me why the completely got rid of the ability to show it.

I think the thinking behind it was to try and "de-clutter"/simplify the UI (not that the UI was ever that over cluttered to begin with IMO!)

Moe,

I want to be able to sort the shares list

It's on our roadmap.

That's not true. I'm joining GreatMarko here, with some comments: it might make the "dumping ground" feeling because of feature demand and development ability not matching. Wishlist is huge now, around 1000 posts now. If even only 30% of them are unique features, it would be 300 features to implement - while release can have only several new features.

I can reassure you that BT is constantly monitoring what is happening in Wishlist.

tenjaa,

What does "optimized folder indexing" mean?

Means BTSync scans folder with better algorithms. It still rescans them with every 10 minutes (or whatever time you configure), but 1.3 should be more gentle with sleeping HDDs and won't awake them until rescan happens.

Hello,

Thanks for the update!

I've just updated all my devices (3x Linux (Ubuntu, Debian and CentOS), 1 Mac and 1 Windows PC) to the latest version. Both my Mac and Windows PC are in sync. However, my Mac is stuck on uploading ~1kB of data such as com.apple.finder and com.apple.FinderInfo to the Linux boxes. Is this related to this update? 

Image: http://imgur.com/V1SO2go

Best regards and thanks for the great application!

Kevin

Is this related to this update?

Possibly. Although, it may also be that some of your files were in the process of being transferred/synced at the particular point in time when you exited and then upgraded Sync to 1.3.

Try the following; With Sync not running on your devices, check for the presence of any .SyncPart, .SyncTemp or .Sync files in your sync folders, and delete these, before restarting Sync on your devices.

Hello all,

I’d like to thank everyone who participates on the Sync forum. Contrary to popular belief :D your feedback is extremely valuable and helps us improve Sync every day. We read every post and while not every idea makes it into the product, over time you will notice that many do.

We feel very lucky on the Sync Team to have this active of a user forum. Now…back to version 1.3 feedback!

Best, -ErikP

----------------------

Erik Pounds

Vice President, Product Management, BitTorrent Sync

Updated 3 computers and we hit the first problem...

Folders configured to only "Search LAN" (tracker disabled), each computer only sees 2 (out of 10) folder from each other.

Not cool... Folders using tracker or hosts seem to be working.

No configuration changes have been made, just update and run BitTorrent Sync. It was working before the update.

I hope there is a quick update for this soon...

I've just updated all my devices (3x Linux (Ubuntu, Debian and CentOS), 1 Mac and 1 Windows PC) to the latest version. Both my Mac and Windows PC are in sync. However, my Mac is stuck on uploading ~1kB of data such as com.apple.finder and com.apple.FinderInfo to the Linux boxes. Is this related to this update? 

Image: http://imgur.com/V1SO2go

I'm having the same problem, looks like it is something to do with this.

• Extended attributes (OS X) and file streams (Windows) support

Seems like BTSync is trying to copy the resource fork (Extended attribute) over, but Linux target doesn't have anywhere to store those extra sets of information. (Perhaps file streams are being used for this on Windows.)

One workaround you can do is to do (on your Mac) xattr -c [filename] to remove resource fork from a file, or you can remove extended attribute from the tree xattr -rc *. (While I personally find these information useless for my use, do remember you will lose things like Spotlight comment or other attribute information if you happened to use them...)

I just have one question:

Where can I get 1.2.92 version?

I'd like to go back to 1.2.92 from 1.3.

For one thing, the way folders are displayed now is not something I'd be looking for. To me, this is incorrect. Now, it is simply confusing, as I have some folders with the same name but in totally different paths, and so, when I switch tabs back and forth, I'd like to see the whole picture all at once with full path names instead of using tool tip just to find out which exact folder it is.

If I had an option to go back to "classic" style with full folder path display, then it would be a different matter.

As to all other things that were done in this release, I do not see anything that affects me at the moment.

I just have one question:

Where can I get 1.2.92 version?

I'd like to go back to 1.2.92 from 1.3.

For one thing, the way folders are displayed now is not something I'd be looking for. To me, this is incorrect. Now, it is simply confusing, as I have some folders with the same name but in totally different paths, and so, when I switch tabs back and forth, I would not like to use the tool tip just to find out which folder is which and which device is connected to which exact folder.

As to all other things that were done in this release, I do not see anything that affects me at the moment.

Yeah if you saw my posts above thats exactly what I was stating. Please go over to the "wish list" thread and pour it out there :D

Oh and there ya go http://syncapp.bittorrent.com/1.2.92/

and if the link above is offline here is just all the files downloaded and mirrored over at MEGA

[link removed]

And if the Staff doesn't like me mirroring old software please contact me :)

Edited by GreatMarko
Link removed - Sync should only be downloaded from official BitTorrent Inc sources

Yeah if you saw my posts above thats exactly what I was stating. Please go over to the "wish list" thread and pour it out there :D

Oh and there ya go http://syncapp.bittorrent.com/1.2.92/

Thanks for the link.

You are funny.

What do you think I should post there?

I wish to go back?

But then there is a problem, I have already seen your link, so I can not wish that any longer. :)

Update

Well, I just posted a post to Wishlist, but with a slightly different twist to it:

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/8620-wishlist/page-50#entry80705

I do not usually read that topic. Too much headache and a bunch of wild ideas, while the basic things wait to be resolved.

[sOLVED]

For unknown reasons this version is not installing on SBS 2003. It's not doing anything, not starting, nothing. downloaded twice and even used a file that installed on a W8 PC.

Are the developers blocking installations on older OS's?

1.2.91 runs fine

update:

for reasons unknown, when i run the installation from the desktop it fails, however copying the file to another drive allowed the installation. Bit odd, but it's running!!

For unknown reasons this version is not installing on SBS 2003. It's not doing anything, not starting, nothing. downloaded twice and even used a file that installed on a W8 PC.

Because you've downloaded a file from the internet your Windows server automatically blocks it by default. So, you'll need to first unblock the installation executable (Right click -> Properties -> Unblock)

For one thing, the way folders are displayed now is not something I'd be looking for. To me, this is incorrect. Now, it is simply confusing, as I have some folders with the same name but in totally different paths, and so, when I switch tabs back and forth, I'd like to see the whole picture all at once with full path names instead of using tool tip just to find out which exact folder it is.

I totally agree. Instead of removing the path and adding some icons it would have been much better if the allow the list to be sorted, or if they showed the folders and devices in a sortable tree-like structure.

+ Folder 1

|

----- Device 1 (IP:Port)

|

----- Device 2 (IP:Port)

+ Folder 2

|

----- Device 1 (IP:Port)

|

----- Device 3 (IP:Port)

Regards,

David

At some point, 1.3.67 stopped running on one of my Linux clients, I don't know why. When I manually restarted btsync, I had a lot of data destruction where old overwrote new. It took about 30 minutes working with the history file to sort everything out. But I'm concerned that this will happen again when the Linux client restarts, possibly after it crashes. And then, the longer it takes before you notice it needs a restart, the more painful the restore session will be.

Are the developers blocking installations on older OS's?

1.2.91 runs fine

Actually BTSync supports servers only starting from 2008 and newer, which was true for 1.2.xx builds as well. Technically we cannot guarantee that 1.2.91 works on 2003 server.

kevinsky25, unsignedint,

Note - Linux has a limitation for xattr to 4kb, while Mac is capable of storing much more data. This might be a reason why some xattrs can't be synced.

kamborio,

All your 10 PCs are in the same subnet?

Actually BTSync supports servers only starting from 2008 and newer, which was true for 1.2.xx builds as well. Technically we cannot guarantee that 1.2.91 works on 2003 server.

Whilst perhaps not "officially" supported, I can confirm that both Sync 1.2 and 1.3 run just fine on Server 2003 :)