"max Peers Reached" -- I Need To Sync With A Large Amount Of Peers

vocatus

Hi there,

I build and maintain a repo of PDQ Deploy packages (example), and have a large number of hosts syncing from me. This is the read-only key for that folder: BTRSRPF7Y3VWFRBG64VUDGP7WIIVNTR4Q

lately people have been complaining they can't sync with my server. I enabled debug logging and see messages about "max peers reached, skipping peer xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

How can I increase the max number of peers? I really need to sync with more peers.

thank-you

Hello vocatus,

If memory serves me right, the maximum number of peers a single btsync instance can concurrently connect to is set to 50. This should not be a problem in a peer to peer network, as files should not be synced from a single location only, if a lot of peers have the same secret. This in turn spreads the network load. 

In your case, you deploy packages i.e. all the nodes use RO packages, which should not be a problem if they are not connected to you, as they should connect to each other.

Hi nils,

I'm seeing the message 1,902 times in each log file, and having a number of users complaining they will never talk to the repo. Additionally, I launched a fresh VM running Sync and it was not able to pull down the file from the repo because it's max number of connections were reached. I understand what you're saying, that peers should just sync up with other peers, but for some reason it seems this isn't happening.

How can I increase the limit?

Edited by vocatus

How can I increase the limit?

There currently is no setting to increase this value. Maybe add it to the wishlist thread, encouraging the devs to take it into consideration in future releases.

However, it seems strange, that new peers are not able to sync with other peers. Are they all restricted i.e. by having defined hosts?

However, it seems strange, that new peers are not able to sync with other peers. Are they all restricted i.e. by having defined hosts?

Using the pre-defined hosts options on their own won't restrict access solely to those defined peers - see this post.

That said, your train of thought makes sense in that something would appear to be blocking the OP's R/O nodes from communicating with each other, and therefore, they're all trying to get data from the one single node they can communicate with.

vocatus, have you checked your NAT/firewall settings on your network/devices? For example, if all your Sync instances are trying to open & map the same port on your NAT, only the first device will be able to.

Hi nils, thanks for replying.

I have the ports forwarded directly to my Sync repo, so that shouldn't be an issue. There's consistently 50 peers connected (or it looks to be that way, hard to count the list). I do have two Sync hosts behind the same NAT, but they're mapped through different ports so I don't think that's the issue.

How can I submit an official request to get the max peer limit changed to a configurable option?

(say, under advanced settings with the other less-common settings)

edit: I forgot to mention, if I manually add the repo host (under manual peers) then it will sync up.