Keep Getting Notifications About Finishing Download Of Existing Files

stanha

(This is re 1.2.92 version on Win)

I keep getting the notifications in the BTSync's windows taskbar icon saying:

"file xxx has finished downloading".

But that file was not actually transferred and it already exists on the destination node (both nodes r/w).

And this is a loop that never ends, going through the files in Images subfolder.

Also, BTSync keeps showing that there is still 1.1 megs left to be downloaded even though both nodes are r/w and there is nothing in .SyncIgnore that I know of that should prevent the downloads. No file modifications or any other alterations have been done on the destination node.

This (uploading) node had a timediff problem yesterday and so he could not compete the upload at that time. But now it is fine in terms of timediff.

Update #1

I decided to try to delete that share that keeps displaying the tooltip, stop the sync, remove all those files about which the message is displayed and then recreate the same share with the same key.

I though it might have something to do with wrong file date stamps when the other nodes' time was in timediff error zone.

After it reindexed that share, it still keeps displaying the same message about "finished downloading", but about all the files in the next subfolder, and the funny part of it, the other node isn't even on line.

So, I am at a loss what to do and what does it mean. Is it a default behavior to keep going through all the files in the share and keep displaying that message every few seconds about each different file in a share? Is it a "normal" behavior?

Stanha,

Notifications in 1.2 are somewhat annoying and are shown for the every file downloaded. Could you describe what was the actions / event after which you started getting notifications?

Well, it is hard to say, really.

Basically, that guy started uploading a bunch of stuff,

then I started to see a timediff error for his node for several hours.

Then he was gone.

When I got back to my box, I saw him again, but without timediff error

and I saw him continue to transfer lots of stuff.

When he stopped the transfers, but did not quite complete it all, it seems,

I kept seeing these tooltip messages appearing as though he was still uploading,

while he was not, and it continued even after he had left the share.

Then he came back again and continued to upload more stuff.

Then he left again.

And now I am not seeing those messages popping up continuously.

That is ALL I can tell you.

[as I said, I have all the compassion for you :)]

Also, debug log from that peer might help.

Roman.

Well, it is a general public situation. I have no clue who he is

and the only way I can contact him is through my Device name,

and that'll work only if he ever looks at it and ht is not using

BTSync on his headeless server box under the table in his kitchen.

Update #1

Btw, are you saying that this issue is fixed in 1.3?

I'd like to get to 1.3, but ONLY if you guys give me an option to display the folders in Device name the old way. I, personally, do not like that new idea of displaying some folders as the last element on the path and others as full path.

It seems to me this can be done by simply adding a new column to Devices tab

and leaving the full path display just the way it was before. There is a number of ways to do it, such as Win explorer properties where you can simply click on a checkmark to enable/disable some column in display.

Actually, I would not like to even see that column that only shows me the last element on that path and I wish I could disable it if you decide to go that way. Well, I could simply drag that column to far right. That would be OK with me.

Update #2

Hey, I like your idea of packing a bunch of small files, such as little images, into a single torrent. That really improves the overall performance.

I'd probably pack not less than 1-4 megs of stuff into a single torrent, unless there is nothing left to transfer.

Because I still see in some medium size files (30 to 200 k) that transfer rate drops down by the factor of 3 approx. That means to me there is still a lot of overhead somewhere and small files are not quite processed in bulk and in bigger chunks.

Update #3

Well, I see that guy that was doing uploads back on line and he brought another 700 megs of stuff to upload and I can see those tooltip messages returning, except they look appropriate now.

In case you want me to tell him something in Devices tab, that would be fine with me. Who knows, he might even read it.

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

Btw, are you saying that this issue is fixed in 1.3?

Notifications were redesigned in 1.3.

I'd like to get to 1.3, but ONLY if you guys give me an option to display the folders in Device name the old way. I, personally, do not like that new idea of displaying some folders as the last element on the path and others as full path.

As I mentioned, it will be changed soon to more convenient view.