Syncing Sd Card Camera Roll Photos From Android Phone To Pc Folder

heehee62

Did I do something wrong?

I have a Samsung galaxy s4 Android 4.3 phone.  The camera roll is located on an sd card I put in my phone.

I installed bittorrent sync on my phone and win 8 laptop.

I used the "backup" option on my phone and selected my camera roll (located on sd card) for backup.

Then using my phone, I emailed myself a secret which I entered into bittorrent sync on my pc and selected a folder on the pc to put the photos in.

Nothing has synced.

So what did I do wrong?

Thanks.

heehee62,

The initial setup looks okay. Couple of questions to see where the issue might be covering:

1. Which version do you use? Would it be 1.3.67 - you might encounter a known issue with local peers discovery.

2. Do you see your Android device in "Devices" tab on your PC? If no - it looks to be a connectivity issue between phone and PC.

3. When your phone is connected to Internet over 3G - does the same issue reproduces?

I think I've messed up.  I upgraded to the latest kit kat version without reading other posts since I hadn't gotten a response yet and thought I'd try that.

Is rooting the only option for me to be able to backup my camera roll photos now that I'm on kit kat?  It seems like camera roll automatically goes to the dcim folder (although on my S4 it gives me the option between external card and internal card, but still in a folder called dcim).

Here is my own experience with similar setup, which seems to be working perfectly. 

I have an unrooted Nexus 4 and I have synced the camera roll to my laptop and desktop using bittorrent sync. The phone is using version 1.3.19.0 and the desktops are using version 1.2.92. It is a 2-way sync and so when I delete photos from synced folder on desktop those are also deleted from phone. Very convenient B). The camera roll directory on phone is:

/sdcard/DCIM

Note that even though the directory is called sdcard, there is no SD card slot in Nexus 4. And I know for sure that non-root users has write permission in /sdcard/DCIM on my phone.

• 1 year later...

heehee62,

Due to Android 4.4 limitation BTSync can't write data to other apps folders on ExtSD. So for now BTSync won't be able to backup anything staying behind his folder on ExtSD. We are looking for ways to change it in future.

I don't think this is the case. Dropbox is perfectly capable of identifying images on the SD card and copying these up to the cloud.

Beside hundred of apps read and write information to the SD cards.. 

@all,

Sync can backup any folder from SD card. But Sync doesn't work the way other apps do - when you enable backup, Sync does not scan the whole phone for jpg, png or whatever media. Sync works with folders you point it to. 

So if one has their photos stored on SD card, and then in Sync just enables "Camera backup", Sync backups the default camera folder - DCIM on *internal* phone's memory.

If you want to backup DCIM from SD card,do "+" -> new backup -> Custom location and pick that folder. Or any other folder you want to backup.