Upnp Isn't Actually Disabling - It's Still Mapping A Port On My Router

acurcione

I'm trying BTSync to sync on my local network between a NAS running unRAID and a Mac Mini.  In my initial tests everything worked fine.  Since I'm ONLY running this locally I figured I'd turn off UPNP on both ends since I don't think it's needed (unless I'm wrong).

When I turned it off on my Mac the port mapping disappeared like it should on my router.  However after I disabled it on my NAS (which is a Linux derivative), not only does the port mapping still appear, it shows a new one every time I restart the service!  So the old mappings are there along with new ones.  I have no idea why it's still using UPNP when I've told it not to or why the old mappings aren't releasing.

Ideas?

I just found the FAQ about keeping all traffic on the LAN by disabling several settings.  However even with these settings off on both machines AND UPNP disabled, ports are still mapped.  And if that weren't bad enough, I see outbound connections on my router to god knows what originating from the ports used on both machines:

udp   192.168.1.100:60668                      54.225.92.50:3000                        UNREPLIED  
udp   192.168.1.100:60668                      54.225.100.8:3000                        UNREPLIED  
udp   192.168.1.75:14524                       54.225.92.50:3000                        UNREPLIED  
udp   192.168.1.75:14524                       54.225.100.8:3000                        UNREPLIED

This is more than a little disconcerting.  Can anyone please elaborate on this and to why the apps are continuing to map ports?  Does it have to map ports even for LAN?  And what the heck is it trying to connect to here?

In relation to 54.225.92.50 and 54.225.100.8 are BitTorrent Sync tracker IPs

For 54.22.92.50 have a look also at this thread. and for 54.225.100.8 have a look at this post.

Thanks for that.  I had a feeling it might be for stats or something, but I couldn't find anything on it.  Maybe this should be added to the FAQ.

And that also explains why the ports are still mapping since it has to have some way to communicate.  Again, should be added to the FAQ so folks know what to expect.

Thanks again.

acurcione,

BTSync also uses NAT-PMP to map ports, which is not disabled by the checkbox in preferences. I suspect that your router supports NAT-PMP and that's why is actually mapping ports.

Yes it does and there doesn't seem to any way of disabling it without disabling UPNP outright. Oh well. As long as it's nothing nefarious, I'm ok with it.

Great software, BTW!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk