Syncronisation Between Remote Locations - Not Syncing Properly

klausemann

Hi,

I have two NAS in two different Offices. In order to be able to work at full speed be accesing data locally we wanted one NAS at each site to Mirror the other, so we would avoid working throug VPN or similar solutions. BTsync seemed to be the best solution out there. I have one Synology DS 411j and one DS 1513+ that for arcitehual reasons are running two different packages of BTsync.

I have installed it on both, both working fine. I can sync a folder to the desktop app on my computer and it will transfer any changes on the "Source" folder such as created files/folders, renamed files/folders, deleted files/folders. The two synced folders will be a Perfect Mirror of eachother, just like I want.

Now here comes my problems. I want to share volume1 on the two drives, and have those Mirror eachother. I share the folder on both NAS and the Destination NAS will build up a Perfect Mirror of the Source. The problem is that New files/folders on one NAS will be transfered, but nothing else. So if I delete,  move, change names on files and folders the "old" Version will remain on the destination NAS in addition to the New one.

Anyone have any idea why this is, when it Mirrors the desktop app perfectly?

klausemann,

To make sure that I understand you correctly:

- You have 2 NASes in 2 locations.

- There is a folder that you want to sync between 2 NASes.

- Also, every location has computers that wants to sync sub-folders of the folder synced between NASes.

- computers sync sub-folders successfully, while NASes does not want to sync changes, only new files.

Is this correct?

Hi,

I have answered pasted Your questions below together With the answers to be sure that it is all structures.

- You have 2 NASes in 2 locations.

Correct

- There is a folder that you want to sync between 2 NASes.

Correct, and it is not just any folder. It is the Whole volume of the file system called "Volume1". If successful in doing this I will practically have mirrored the Whole nas, including shared folders and so on. This will again allow the users to login in to the system the different Offices, working locally, without actually being aware that they are working on a different NAS, since the will be identical as they are mirrored by BTsync. 

- Also, every location has computers that wants to sync sub-folders of the folder synced between NASes.

Preferably, but not a must

- computers sync sub-folders successfully, while NASes does not want to sync changes, only new files.

100% correct

klausemann,

This setup should work. Please check several things:

1. What kind of files NASes are syncing between them? Please check that when the file is updated, it changes either the size or mtime.

2. Doesn't files sync after 10-20 minutes? It might happen that NAS OS did not notify BTSync on files changed, so changes will only be reflected after full folder rescan.

3. The existing files - who is the owner and what are the permissions? Make sure that user running btsync is the owner and has enough permissions to read and write these files.

If all above does not help - I'll need 2 debug logs, from 2 of your NASes, set log_size to 100 on both to make sure issue gets into the log. Remove all the nested folders from NASes (i.e. make sure that only 2 of them see each other). Modify some file on NAS, make sure it is NOT propagated to other NAS after 10-15 mins. Collect the logs and send to me - I'll try to find out what is happening between your NASes.

Hi,

Based on your suggestions above I have now startet up btsync as root instead of as the user "btsync". This does not change anything. But, I have found out some more details:

1. Create/move/rename/delete on the DS411j immediately propergates to the DS1513.

2. From the DS1513 to the DS411j however, only created files propergate, whilst deleted, renamed or moved files does not. This makes a mess on the DS411J as it does not clean up removed, moved or changed files.

The log files I hade to zip and put in my drop Box (The DS1513 did not have an sync.old file):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89629969/Debug%20files.zip

Thanks for Your help,

Regards,

Klausemann

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar behaviour in my setup under release 1.3.93 and probably 1.3.94 (just updated it)

I have a folder synced. It was originally in Computer A and now it is syncing to site B. Both are Windows Server 2003 machines. The folder size is about 500 GB in size, about 100K files and 7K subfolders. The structure is something like this:

\main

\main\A\..

\main\B\..

\main\C\..

\main\D\..

\main\E\..

I synced a subfolder (lets say \main\A) first between both machines with a random secret and It was fine. Now I am trying to sync the parent folder, the entire site. I did:

1 I stopped BTSync in both sites, removed the \main\A folder in both My Sync tabs at both sites.

2 I deleted the .sync* files and folders in both sites.

3 I created a new secret for the \main folder in site A, where the information is stored.

4 I used the read only secret in site B to sync the \main folder. 

I expected that the rest of the \man\* to sync as successfuly as the \main\A did. I also expected the files and folders under \main\A was not transfered again since the mtime and size were the same as they where the result of a previous synced folder. To my surprise only subfolders main\A and main\B, and modified files in the whole \man\* tree, are synced.

Also to my surprise, in My Sync tab the \main folder appears as having only 91.8 GB and about 73K files when it actually have 504GB and more than 100K files. I excluded the video files in the  .syncignore file in site B but videos are just 150GB and I am missing 410 GB in site B.

I have just updated to 1.3.94 and the folder size reports the same incorrect size.

Thnaks for your work, I know that it is still in beta stage and I am happy to help on making this a better tool.