Where Are The Secrets Stored...

wgregori

Thanks for the note.  I'm using sync over the internet successfully.  Here's what I don't understand.

Server side:

I installed Sync on a server behind a firewall.  Created a directory on the server and created a Secret and emailed it to myself.

Client side (somewhere on the internet):

Installed BitSync, opened my email and pasted the Secret code created on the server and chose a directory to sync and it started working. 

Question:

How does the client side know how to find the server solely from the Secret code? 

Thanks,
Wayne

wgregori:

I believe that the tracker and DHT servers belong to Bittorrent. Apparently they are not able to see the content of your synced files. It's all a matter of trust, since BTSync is not open source, and its code can not be audited by 3rd parties. Here is a forum thread which discusses tracker vs DHT in some detail:

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/13102-dht-vs-tracker-server/

You can also opt out of tracker and DHT discovery in the settings. As Harold Feit mentioned, you can use "Predefined Hosts" .. basically direct IP address to IP address connection without touching Bittorrent hardware. This should work in cases where your devices have Static IP addresses, and also where you have UPnP configured routers or admin access to the routers your devices may be behind -  to forward the necessary ports.

Hope this is helpful.

I believe that the tracker and DHT servers belong to Bittorrent.

There is no "DHT server". The D in DHT stands for Distributed.

DHT nodes are run by basically everyone that uses DHT in sync.

Neither the tracker nor any node in the DHT actually knows what files you have stored in the secrets. They ONLY have the secret's identifier code and a list of IP+port combinations running on the identifier.

There is no "DHT server". The D in DHT stands for Distributed.

DHT nodes are run by basically everyone that uses DHT in sync.

Thanks for clarifying this. So the correct thing I should have said is that trackers are managed by BT, and DHT is a distributed discovery system.

Neither the tracker nor any node in the DHT actually knows what files you have stored in the secrets. They ONLY have the secret's identifier code and a list of IP+port combinations running on the identifier.

Thank you for putting this statement out there. I understand that there is no public code review possible at present, so I accept at face value your explanation that files and content can't be read by trackers or over DHT. Also your description of the metadata that can be viewed by the the BT trackers or DHT is appreciated!