Mac To Pc Issues

andewthlow

Hi Guys,

I currently use Sync to transfer files between my work Mac and Windows 7 PC and it's worked great. However there are two bugs that I've found that ONLY occur on the PC (so far anyway).

When I try and open files synced from the Mac on the PC I sometimes get a 'the directory name is invalid error'. However if I then proceed to copy and paste that file (say Hello file) to some other directory (e.g. desktop etc) I can open the Hello file but then all the files in the folder in which the Hello file is from disappears and can't be seen even if I turn on the View Hidden Files and Folders option. HOWEVER...and this is the really weird part...I can find these files that disappeared BUT I can't view them normally (i.e. I have to find them manually). 

Also, I find that everytime I try to delete a former sync folder on the PC, I get this error that the folder is no longer located in that location...even though that's not the case. As such, I cant delete any former sync folders. 

I'm a bit confused about theses folder problems on the PC. But otherwise it's been working great! Hope to get some guidance on these issues.

Thanks guys! 

Edited by andewthlow

@andewthlow,

Few questions to clarify situation:

1. Who (=which process) shows you the error "The directory name is invalid"? Try checking this with some tool (Process Explorer by Microsoft can show you which process the window belongs to).

2. Does it happen to other files / file types?

3. Do you try to run process from the name of another user (see this MS article about the error mentioned)

4. Where do you find the "disappeared" files? How do you determine that they disappeared - check them with Explorer or with some file manager?

5. Do you run some security software (Anti-malware / firewall)? Could you please try to disable security software and see if issue persists?

Hi RomanZ

1. I've run Process Explorer and the processes that show up are ndfapi.dll and wdi.dll 

2. So far I've only tested it for pdf and docx files 

3. I haven't 

4. I can find, view and open the disappeared files if I use the search function in Explorer BUT I can't view them if I open the folder in which they are contained (even in View Hidden Files and Folders)

5. I run avira and have tried to delete previously synced folders with it disabled and can confirm that it doesn't fix the problem 

Hope that clarifies it. Thanks for you help! 

@andewthlow,

1. These are dynamic libraries, not processes. Please see screenshot below: run procexp, drag the target icon to window head, and it will select the process owning the window.

VbJPoOb.png

4. Screenshot would be great. Also, you can right-click the file to see it's path.

5. Try disabling Avira for a longer time - and see if it helps. On-access file scanners sometimes bring pretty weird issues.