Upnp: Unable To Map Port

mcai8rw2

tl;dr version: Linux BTSync Log File is saying:

"[20140417 12:00:19.218] UPnP: Unable to map port 192.168.90.150:53160 with UPnP."

"[20140417 12:20:21.904] UPnP: Device error "http://192.168.90.150:45062/dev/8b9397c7-8f1d-9650-ffff-ffff88fe3c0c/desc": (-2)"

Wat do?

Long version:

OK... so... 

PC1: Ubuntu Server running the per user instance of BTSync. (you know... the one with the .conf files in /etc/btsync/)

Populated Folder - /software-tools

PC2: Windows 7x64 running normal btsync installation.

Cloned Populated Folder - /software-tools

I have successfully logged in to my Ubuntu server GUI at http://192.168.XX.XX:8888 and added a folder from the Ubuntu Server. I copy and paste the secret into the windows BTSync, and set the destination folder to be the same /Software-Tools folder (n.b. These two folders have already got the same files/folders in them from a manual copy/paste done earlier)

If I SSH into the Ubuntu PC and manually make a text file... "from-linux.txt" ... this file never appears on the windows PC. Likewise if i make a test file "from-windows.txt" in windows it never appears on the linux server. BTSync does not appear to be syncing anything.

1. I have run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure btsync" to ensure that btsync is being run by the same user and group that owns all the files in /Software-Tools "myuser:www-data"

2. I have verified on the firewall that all traffic between PC1 and PC2 is not hindered by application control, or anti-virus etc...

3. Looking at the sync.log file in /var/lib/btsync the one main and only error is:

"[20140417 12:00:19.218] UPnP: Unable to map port 192.168.90.150:53160 with UPnP."

"[20140417 12:20:21.904] UPnP: Device error "http://192.168.90.150:45062/dev/8b9397c7-8f1d-9650-ffff-ffff88fe3c0c/desc": (-2)"

4. I have ticked "Use Relay when required".

Please can anyone help with the error/getting BTSync to work?

Thanks

@mcai8rw2,

Does your Ubuntu and Windows "see" each other? (Win should be displayed as peer in the table of WebUI on Ubuntu, while Ubuntu will be visible as peer in Devices list in Windows UI)

Are your computers in LAN or they are connected thru WAN?

The log message you put here actually is not that critical. It just displays the fact that BTSync did not manage to map the port with your router using UPnP protocol. It is not deadly as there is still PMP, NAT punching and relay server at the end of the day.

I suspect that you have multiple NICs and BTSync has a known issue when working on systems with multiple NICs functioning.

@RomanZ

Thank you so much for your input.

1. Negative... neither Ubuntu nor Win pc are displayed as "connnected devices" in the web-ui of Ubuntu or the devices portion of the windows app.

2. It is all connected through the LAN. Although eventually I would like to take the secret-code home and use BTSync to do threeway synchronization.

3. I DO have multiple NICs on my Windows PC. A physical NIC and then a couple of virtual NICs that "VMWare Workstation" put onto my PC. I will try disabling/removing these to see if that fixes the issue, and report back.

***Edit: Negative I'm afraid, disabling the two virtual NICs in Windows has had no affect on the connection status. 

*** I shall continue to research the issue. Of course if anyone else has any ideas... please let me know.

thanks again for you post.

@mcai8rw2,

Does your Ubuntu and Windows "see" each other? (Win should be displayed as peer in the table of WebUI on Ubuntu, while Ubuntu will be visible as peer in Devices list in Windows UI)

Are your computers in LAN or they are connected thru WAN?

The log message you put here actually is not that critical. It just displays the fact that BTSync did not manage to map the port with your router using UPnP protocol. It is not deadly as there is still PMP, NAT punching and relay server at the end of the day.

I suspect that you have multiple NICs and BTSync has a known issue when working on systems with multiple NICs functioning.

Edited by mcai8rw2

This is confusing and odd.

I come into work this morning, only to find that the two files on Ubuntu and Win7 have synced. 

As of this morning, files i renamed in Ubuntu have been correctly renamed on Windows7 PC. What i don't understand though, is that when i rename a file on Ubuntu server, then wait 15-30minutes ... there are no changes on the Win7 PC.

But i come in this morning, and the files are renamed! WTF? 

1. How long is the delay on syncing stuff? I thought it was ten minutes... but if i wait over ten minutes, there are no changes?!

2. Does BTSync notice files have changed and then start a sync? or does BTSync simply wait 10minutes then starts an analysis irrespective of whether there have been any changes in files etc?

@mcai8rw2

600 = 600 seconds = 10 minutes. So BTSync rescans folder every 10 minutes for changes. Also, BTSync both monitors the folder for changes AND polls for changes every rescan interval (in certain cases OS notifications might be unreliable).

After you disabled the virtual adapters - did you restart BTSync to make a clean experiment?

Sure did... restarted PC, and BTSync and everything.

What would make it take a long time to notice changes?

I wonder if its a permissions thing.... i.e. My windows user is totally different to my Linux user. So what impact does having different users have?

The UBUNTU box has 2 nics.... one is the LO adapter, the other is one called P5P1 .... not sure why ubuntu gave it that silly name and not ETH0 like normal.

I;m currently testing renaming folders on the Windows PC and seeing if that gets mirrored on the Ubuntu PC.

@mcai8rw2

600 = 600 seconds = 10 minutes. So BTSync rescans folder every 10 minutes for changes. Also, BTSync both monitors the folder for changes AND polls for changes every rescan interval (in certain cases OS notifications might be unreliable).

After you disabled the virtual adapters - did you restart BTSync to make a clean experiment?

Just a note... again. If i rename something on windows... and leave it, the folder syncs ok... but only after AGES. Like... i leave work and go home, come back in the morning... and its files/folders have been renamed.

Not sure where to go with this issue...if anywhere. I mean, it works i guess. Not as responsivley as i had hoped, but it works nevertheless.

Anyway... if anyone has any bright flashes of inspiration. Please let me know.