Android Client Can Only Find Devices On Lan, What Am I Missing?

captainmark

If I'm on WiFi at home and launch the BitTorrent Sync Android app then I get 1 device found (my server) great but if I'm on mobile data connection the Android app fails to find any other device, my brain is fried and I can't think what the problem is.

I've gone into the settings on the server and noted the listening port and forwarded this on my router, I've also enabled UPNP for good measure 

I've allowed all traffic on this port through my firewall, I've even disabled the firewall temporarily to no avail

I've used an online port checker and it reports that this port is open and has a service running on it.

Shouldn't this be enough or am I overlooking the obvious?

I've tried re adding the secrets for my folder but that doesn't change anything.

Help?

@captainmark,

There might be some bad news for you. Your ISP might block the traffic from Android to the tracker server. In general, BTSync requires connection to t.usyncapp.com and config.syncapp.com domains over TCP or UDP port 3000.

If it is blocked by your ISP - your device connecting over mobile network won't be able to see and communicate any other devices. I suggest checking it with your ISP.

Do you mean my home broadband or my mobile phone provider?

I have had it running the past so hopefully they haven't changed something.

EDIT:

I'm not overly confident I'm doing the correct thing here but I went to portquiz.net:3000 on my phone and it connected okay, does this tell me they are not blocking outbound connections on this port?

@captainmark,

Actually it shows that your mobile phone provider does not block at least TCP outgoing to port 3000. Could you please try to download the file from your phone "config.usyncapp.com/sync.conf"?

Also, do you have another PC connected to the internet so you can make sure that issue is bound to the phone, not to the PC? If you don't have another PC - let me know, I'll share some test secret with you so we can see if our PCs connect.

I don't know what the problem is/was but I've tried again today and its working ok, this is annoying, I hope it stays okay now. I haven't changed any settings over the past few days.

EDIT: I spoke too soon, it'd now not working, so I done a few tests, when I try to a) use btsync b.) query port 3000 and c) download that link you said to, they either all work together or all fail together, it would seem my mobile internet provider is blocking traffic intermittently for no apparent reason. How annoying, I'll have to speak to them about this. 

@captainmark

I see. Okay, some info you might find useful while speaking to provider:

To function BTSync requires ability to connect over TCP and UDP protocols to port 3000 of the following addresses: t.usyncapp.com, r.usyncapp.com, config.usyncapp.com. Also, BTSync needs ability to accept incoming packets (also TCP and UDP), addressed to the port configured in preferences ("Listening port").