Hiring A Sync Developer

curt15

I have tried to setup my backup strategy using Bittorrent Sync, but I've run into several issues that are causing me to decide that I need to hire someone to help me get this setup.

1. I have 1.7TB of data to sync. I started by cloning my storage drive and then taking it to a remote location where I then setup the sync, but I can see that there are consistent issues of not syncing. (I can see the change in history, but not in the syncArchive or in the folder where the change took place)

2. Both systems are Mac OSX

3. During sync the mouse can get pretty erratic, I'm cool with slowing down the sync if necessary, but I'm not sure which one I need to do or how much, etc.

4. I know that with the API there are some cool things that can be done to streamline the process.

5. I am using a second drive at the remote location to do a time machine backup of the sync drive.

I think that since I treasure the backup process so much, and apparently I am just out of reach of the knowledge necessary, I should just hire someone who is smart enough for a few hours of work to get me stable and properly setup.  Hopefully they can understand why the sync is not consistent and help me get this locked up.

Is it appropriate to ask this kind of thing in the forum?  I just need this to work and I'm not sure what else I need to do to get this done right with the right expertise and knowledge.

Let me know if you are willing and able to work for hire and if you can help me.  I'd be happy to get you started ASAP.  I have full access to the remote computer via screenshare.

Thanks!

Hi,

While the API does expose some extra features, most of what you need can be configured with the default client.

Seems like you have a number of issues:

• High CPU usage of the BTSync application
    This might be due to a bug in the application, probably something the Bittorrent devs should take a look at
    I have noticed similar spikes in CPU usage on Windows but not to the extend where it hinders mouse movements.
    What are the specs of the machine you are experiencing this on?
  • Not syncing
    Can you verify that the other system is visible in the Devices tab?
    If the backup machine has a static IP, you may want to modify the properties of the sync folder
    on the source machine to "Use predefined hosts" and add the static IP of the backup machine (+ port).
    You will also have to configure the firewall to expose the port on which BTSync is listening (on the backup machine).
    At that point you can disable "use tracker server" and "use relay server". This usually fixes syncing issues for us.

Timothy

Hi Curt,

The functionality you are looking for is available in the core client like Timothy pointed out - I'm curious about your performance issues and would love to hear if the recommendations that Timothy has made cleans up the experience at all - please keep us posted!

aaron

• Not syncing

Can you verify that the other system is visible in the Devices tab?

If the backup machine has a static IP, you may want to modify the properties of the sync folder

on the source machine to "Use predefined hosts" and add the static IP of the backup machine (+ port).

You will also have to configure the firewall to expose the port on which BTSync is listening (on the backup machine).

At that point you can disable "use tracker server" and "use relay server". This usually fixes syncing issues for us.

Timothy

I can confirm that the machine is in the devices tab and the status says: [up arrow] 31.2 GB and I'm not sure what that means.

I apologize for my ignorance, but I am pretty sure that the backup computer doesn't have a static IP address, and a few months ago I looked into using DNS services, but I just don't grasp how that works or what it means to get it setup... I gather that is along the lines of what you are suggesting.

Hi,

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. Apparently I am no longer receiving notifications from this forum.

As you pointed out you see the backup machine in the devices tab of the other computer. 

When you look at the "transfers" tab, do you ever see any activity there? 

Timothy