Sync Folder On Two Computers After Copying Files To Each

ckp

Can I speed up and avoid initial sync between two computers if I copy a large amount of media files to both computers and then add it as a sync folder on computer 1, and then add the key to computer 2? The first time I tried this, each folder that existed in the sync folder on each computer added extra folders with the same name and " - conflict" after them. Maybe my ordering of steps was wrong? Thanks.

Yes - it can be done.

Before adding the folder to Sync on either device, copy the folder contents across to your second device so that both devices have an identical set of files/folders to begin with in the folder you wish to sync. Then add the folder to Sync - on each device - using the same secret.

As the folder contents will be identical to start with, Sync will simply index the folder on both devices, but no files should transfer between the two if the folder contents are identical on both devices.

However, some things to check/note:

• When copying files across from one device to another, make sure their created/last modified times are preserved and not reset on the receiving device to the current time.
  • Ensure you have no other synchronization software acting on the folders you're trying to sync using BitTorrent Sync.

i used robocopy on windows computer A to mirror the 3 top level folders (music, photos, video) to computer B. this seem to cause the top level folder timestamps to change, but the contents mod time matches on both computers. i guess i'll just let btsync sync the two computers 100% from A to B, but it will take a really long time, unless btsync can figure out that they are on the same subnet. computer A is also on a corporate vpn subnet, so if btsync goes through that, it will take forever.

...The first time I tried this, each folder that existed in the sync folder on each computer added extra folders with the same name and " - conflict" after them. Maybe my ordering of steps was wrong?

Yes, I have been having problems with -Conflict folders sing verison 1.3.xx came out.  I have been using 1.2.91.  Every new version that comes out I try, but unforturnately I'm left with -Conflict on nearly everything.  For me, I think it has something to do with my folder Junctions.  Not too sure.

Yes - it can be done.

Before adding the folder to Sync on either device, copy the folder contents across to your second device so that both devices have an identical set of files/folders to begin with in the folder you wish to sync. Then add the folder to Sync - on each device - using the same secret.

Indeed.  I've found that with copying, often the creation/modification date is altered.  To work around this, you could zip the folder you want to sync, and then unzip it to the other computer.  Once you have that folder on the other box, set it up with BTSync and everything is preserved.  It won't have to re-sync your data.

@ckp,

BTSync won't sync files if hash of the file is the same - even if mtime of the file has changed. 

Well, it indeed seemed to the first time I tried, because the -conflict duplicate folders were created. All the files were exactly the same. Only the top level folders had a different creation time. Anyway, I just let the whole thing sync on my LAN. It transferred quite quickly. If I try the copy method again, I'll make sure to use the robocopy option to preserve the folder timestamps. Using zip/copy/unzip method would take more time than just letting it all sync over.

• 1 month later...

Very usefull post for me, I'm just about to copy 500Gb of files from one PC to another and didn't want to use bandwidth. I'll test the zip method of file transfer on a 1Gb and see how that works out.

I betting this is a common issue for a lot of users. I've been looking for a solution to a similar issue with Google Drive I wanted to transfer 500Gb between PC's and run into the issue of duplicate files being created and bandwith issues.

A feature to enable offline transfers would be very useful to a lot of users trying to sync large data sets.

Edited by JOHNLAYNE