Btsync Chews Up Cpu, Web Site Slow To Load (Linux)

eddieparker

Not sure if this is just a fact of life, or if I can optimize it somehow, but I've got two big symptoms with BTSync:

- My CPU is pretty much always pegged at >90% utilization, and htop reports BTSync to be the main offender:

PID USER      PRI  NI  VIRT   RES   SHR S CPU% MEM%   TIME+  Command
25556 root       30  10 2063M 1457M  1004 S 73.0 39.3 81h20:42 /usr/bin/btsync --config /etc/btsync.conf
25564 root       30  10 2063M 1457M  1004 R 73.0 39.3 80h48:58 /usr/bin/btsync --config /etc/btsync.conf

- The web URL takes forever to load.

Now, that said, I do have a perhaps non-typical use case:

I use rsnapshot to build a snapshot of my linux box every night.  I currently rsync that snapshot to a place that btsync indexes (to get around the entire tree disappearing for a bit, then having it repopulate -- I'm trying to avoid indexing more than necessary).  That backup tree is quite large however (~200GB).

Is the speed of the web response as well as the CPU utilization normal for this type of utilization?  Am I using btsync in a way that's unexpected? (Large dataset, updated nightly; although typically it should only be deltas?)

Thanks.  I really do like BTSync for this kind of work, it'd be a shame if this case couldn't be sped up.

Hrmm, good point.  That's actually odd - if I use htop (where I got the original output from), it shows multiple processes.  However using top or just ps auxf | grep btsync only yields me one.

Regardless, it's taking 95% CPU.  I imagine htop is reporting incorrectly the number of processes, or I'm reading it incorrectly.

Here's the output from top:

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
25556 root      30  10 2112860 1.457g   1572 S  80.9 40.2  15256:02 btsync

• 1 month later...

Just bumping this - is anyone else seeing this?

Even on the latest, (1.3.106) my CPU is pegged at 100% and the website never loads (constantly "waiting for ").

My current work around is to use cpulimit to set the process to some sane limit, but I still can't get access to the website to see how syncs are occuring.

I'd love to have this be usable again on my Linux box.