[Now Implemented!] Btsync As A Windows Service

upcboy

Maybe it will be best solution to have web based gui like on Linux and BTSync should run in background as service without desktop control. At least it could consolidate control among different platforms (windows / linux).

I think that separate web gui (linux like) is the best way.

Or maybe two separate versions, if you guys would like to maintain one more version, desktop interactive and background service with web gui. I know, that some users should prefer present desktop gui, but for servers is there a gap.

Thanks for even better BTSync.

• 3 weeks later...

BTSync is great, but this is the biggest missing feature, severely limiting deployment on servers and multi-user laptops. Hacks and work-arounds suck. Reading back, it appears the developers are unaware why services are important. Explanation: it's because regular programs don't run until someone logs in, and on a server, nobody logs in immediately following a reboot.

I've already decided against using BTSync on a server based solely on poor experience with running non-service-compatible programs as services in the past. Now I'm running into a major issue getting stuff synced on a laptop that I share with my wife using separate user accounts. It should sync regardless of whether the person who set up the sync is logged in!

• 2 weeks later...

At one point, I was responded to saying this feature was coming, but that was well over a year ago, so now who knows.

I would love to have this feature, but if the developers "don't get the need" then we may never see it.   Time will tell but I fear that, like most things, people will get tired of asking for something they will never get and start asking for something else instead and that will be the end of it.

Oh I hope I am wrong,,,,

At one point, I was responded to saying this feature was coming, but that was well over a year ago, so now who knows.

I would love to have this feature, but if the developers "don't get the need" then we may never see it.   Time will tell but I fear that, like most things, people will get tired of asking for something they will never get and start asking for something else instead and that will be the end of it.

Oh I hope I am wrong,,,,

That's a very defeatist attitude to adopt! :(

The developers DO take note of this Feature Request forum, and many of the suggestions made here DO go on to be implemented (Recent examples: 1, 2, 3, 4)

The more people that add their voice and "+1" a particular request, the more the developers will see how much interest there is in that request - now, that doesn't automatically mean a suggestion will get implemented, but it does let the developers know what users want to see in Sync, which can in turn affect where things sit on their internal road map.

In my opinion, this demand could/should be taken with a much greater priority than it is at this time.

I do not mean to be rude (and I'm aware I'm not paying a penny for using this great software), but judging by the fact the original post dates from over a year ago, and by the fact it would take me (a rather beginner software developer) to code this functionality in C++ and deploy it in under a week, I can't help but thinking this project lacks some better management.

And that's my 2 cents, which I hope are taken as a constructive criticism.

Edit: If it adds, I'm developing a software for a big company in my country using the API, and this company would be willing to license BTSync or even hire a team to develop something from scratch (at great expenses) if necessary.