[Now Implemented!] Btsync As A Windows Service

upcboy

• 2 weeks later...

love2scoot,

I used your method(except for the WebUI part) to sync files from multiple user accounts on multiple computers across my local network with a beta version of BTSync( I think it was 1.4X). I have recently updated my computers to Windows 10 and when doing so I decided to upgrade to the latest version of BTSync (2.1.1). However, I can not get it to run as a service.  It only runs when user is logged in and BTSync is running on the desktop.

Do you (or any one reading this) have any advice for getting it to run while user not logged in? 

Maybe run as scheduled task? Use an older version of BTSync? Another program that will do what I want?

Reviving this thread since it seems as if a built in solution for runing BTSync as a service still is missing.

I need to start BTSync as a service on Windows Server 2008 where normally no user is loged in.

My plan is to use sc.exe (included in Windows) to create the service and as far as I understand the command should then be:

sc create BTSync binpath= "C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync\BTSync.exe" start= auto

This creates the service but it is not started. When I try to start the service from the Windows "Services GUI" I get a message saying:

"Windows could not start the BTSync service on Local Computer.   Error 1053: ...."

I see that the service is run as "Local System" and not as my user.

The best way to solve this would be to get BTSync installed somewhere else than under %USERPROFILE% for example under Program Files so Local System can reach it but I haven't manage to do this. Does anyone knows if it is possible.

The other option seems to be to let the service log on as my user. I have supplied user name and password in the Log On Tab in the service properties but it still dosn't work. Same error as above.

Any ideas?

Quist, what version of BTSync are you trying to use?

Over the past couple of hours I've tried running multiple versions of BTSync as service using NSSM, the newest one I could get to work was 1.4.111. It's the newest beta version I could find. None of the 2.X versions I tried worked.

I'm on 2.1.

Where is 1.4.111 installed, is it under program files?

My IT department will defenitely not like NSSM to be installed on the machine (hard enough with BTSync) since this is a corporate server so I hope to find a solution with sc.exe.

I will try with 1.4.111.

Thanx!

Just realized that sc.exe doesn't work if the exe wasn't programmed to run as a service (which BTSync apparently isn't).

As has been explained early in this thread the trick is to use srvany.exe (found in the Windows Server 2003 resource kit on Microsofts homepage, it works also with newer versions of Windows)

Use "sc " to create a new service that launches "srvany " (e.g. sc create MyService binPath= C:\Windows\System32\srvany.exe DisplayName= "MyService" )

Using RegEdit : create a "Parameters " key for your service (e.g. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MyService\Paramaters\ )

Using RegEdit : within the newly created "Parameters " key , create a string value called "Application " and enter the full path to the BTSync application. (No quotes required.)

In the Service manager right click on your new service, choose properties and enter the user credentials for the user which BT Sync is installed under.

Start your service and cross your fingers!

Edited by Quist

• 3 weeks later...

Awwwwww... crap.

I just upgraded my computers to 2.2 and was feeling all happy until I realized my home server was not liking the change.  It is just running Win7 and I tried to do the workaround and start Sync with the Task Scheduler, but it does not seem to work.  Back here I came looking for the answer and I got a little lost. 

Can someone walk me through the work around for 2.2?  I think is has to do with the /config setup but I am not sure after that.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...