[Now Implemented!] Selective Sync

robert-info

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I work for an offshore drilling company. I'm currently testing Sync 2.0 for syncing folders from my PC to Drill Rigs/Ships around the world with very high latency 700ms+. The biggest feature I'm interested in is selecting certain files/folders to Sync from the Source path on my PC, instead of the entire contents in that path. There are certain files that are necessary in that path, but do not need to be synced out.

Thanks.

Thanks Moe,

I guess I should have done a bit more research before posting. However, I believe .SyncIgnore is a major part of the functionality and should be included in the UI.

I have no doubt that bittorrent should be one of the best sync apps out there since they are the market for a very long time... just for different sync reasons :)

The biggest feature I'm interested in is selecting certain files/folders to Sync from the Source path on my PC, instead of the entire contents in that path. There are certain files that are necessary in that path, but do not need to be synced out.

Selective file sync is already available in Sync 2.0 (right click on a folder entry in Sync's UI and turn "Sync All" to "Off")

Selective file sync is already available in Sync 2.0 (right click on a folder entry in Sync's UI and turn "Sync All" to "Off")

Marko, I think what he originally meant is something like this:

C:/BTS/Share

C:/BTS/Share/do-not-sync.ext

C:/BTS/Share/do-sync.ext

he want's to share the folder C:/BTS/Share/ - maybe carslan can verify that if that assumption is correct

Because having it with the .bts extension available for download means that an end user can get a file that he maybe is not supposed to get.

/e

Maybe what he also means or requests as a feature is that you might have a GUI panel that pops up for a share and lists all subdirectories and files within that share. Then you can check the files and folders you want to be able to sync with a little checkbox and a tick and BitTorrent Sync starts or stops (maybe remotely deletes?) distributing these files to other instances that have that share. (Just do a google image search on dropbox selective sync and you'll see).

Although, I can see that the quick answer to this would just be "If you have a folder that has a total of 5 folder and you want to share 4 of them, just create 4 individual shares or modify .IgnoreList".

Maybe there is some other input needed for this idea/thought. I'll be glad to have a quick discussion, maybe in another thread so it doesn't get off-topic.

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely, it would be great to have an easy to use GUI to manage SyncIgnore, rather than having people edit the file by hand. It should include a collapsible tree view of all files and directories in the share (whether or not they are synced to this device). All files should be checked by default, which means they are NOT included in the SyncIgnore file. If a file is unchecked by the user, then it is added to the SyncIgnore file. This should only affect the current device. The UI could also have a second area where users can enter glob or regexp patterns to be added to SyncIgnore.

The ".bts" links are NOT analogous to the traditional "selective sync" option that many people are asking for. It is a great feature for sure, but it is very different in behaviour.

Yes I agree. Since it allows you to selectively sync files it is not like I have a root folder that contains folder x y z and three peers.

Peer 1 can have access to folder x and the rest can have access to y and z but not x.

That'd be selective for me. Like I mentioned in a couple posts already (http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/33912-needs-a-proper-selective-sync-option/?view=findpost&p=98579 & http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/33718-selective-file-sync/?view=findpost&p=98010 )