[Now Implemented!] Selective Pause

Xaotikdesigns

I note that SyncApp seems to be doing a great job of syncing, but not all the time. E.g. one video file is enough to stop all other transfers. I want to keep my docs synced as first priority, but also to ensure that the video folders on both my main machines are in sync. But the docs are more important and I would like them updated before worrying about the GBs of videos or music or movies. It would be great if there was a way to prioretize transfers?

Even the ability to right click on an active transfer and choose an option to pause/unpause just this file or even to filter just that file out completely transfer it (with a page in the preferences to undo the filter), while leaving all other transfers active.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The ability to disable individual syncs.

Use case...

I am a photographer, and so have a LOT of photos that I duplicate from my main computer to a server.  When I'm done with an event (e.g. a wedding), I do not need to continue syncing that folder (each of the events is a separate sync) so I currently delete the sync.

If I then need to go back and make any edits / etc, I then want to resync it... so have to add it again.

It would be nice to simply disable a sync when it is done with... and then re-enable it if I need to make any changes.

Nathan

• 2 weeks later...

- configure a folder by folder pause/resume action

- even better if this is doable for subfolders

- and for a file by file setup

or maybe have a manual mode so I can set some files to be synced when I am done editing them (e.g. a photoshop file that I am saving regularly during the day that I want to share at the end of the day)

so... pretty much like some kinds of p2p version control system :)

• 1 month later...

Even the ability to right click on an active transfer and choose an option to pause/unpause just this file or even to filter just that file out completely transfer it (with a page in the preferences to undo the filter), while leaving all other transfers active.

That's what I'd like to see as well.  When torrent'ing files, I will sometimes pause a particular set so that another can use more bandwidth.  (I tried to just "like" the post, but I've already exceeded the daily allowance on my first go?).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd like to disable sync for a certain shared folder but not for others. As far as saw right now you can just disable sync for the whole application, not individual shares (I don't mean single folders within a share, just the whole share)

--Marenz

For completeness, the following users also previously requested such features in the original Wishlist thread:

A way to pause synching, doing this for individual folders would be great

- Pause on a per folder/share basis.

10) Selective Pausing: Ability to pause all transfers with a specific friend/computer.

I would like the ability to pause just the uploads or just the downloads.

4.Pause sync for folders separately.

A "Pause" feature to individual syncs.

1. Pause button(s)

It would be cool to include some kind of "Pause" button on the devices list, to pause some of the peers, just like uTorrent and .torrent programs.

* Ability to pause folders being synced and not just only devices

I'd like to be able to pause the synchronization of a single folder (appear offline function, which may occasionally desirable), whilst the other folders continue to synchronize

Continued...

• 2 months later...

Adding another voice to the chorus for pause/selective sync. I've got a bigger desktop and a small laptop (and some other computers), so being able to view the file system and selectively download only the stuff I need at the moment, sync it back to the other systems, and then remove it locally (but still be able to see it in case I need to use it again) would be perfect.

It would be nice to pause sync on a given folder but allow sync to continue otherwise. The thought came to me earlier today when I paused sync while downloading a file cut up into rars, which I didn't want synced, while at the same time adding a few files to some other folder. It's a minor point and I wouldn't prioritize it, but it would just be nice to have that kind of control, eventually.

• 4 weeks later...

+1. Even better if I can pause entire folders inside a sync. Then I can leave it permanently paused to exclude a folder from sync.

IMO, every "pause" feature needs to be available with a timer. It's so annoying to need just a 30 minute pause but forget to resume it and find this out days later. It would be great if there was a "Pause for 1 hour" along with "Pause".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Basicly, I whish I could pause separately a part of the sync. I would like to have a boolean on the line menu "Pause/Unpause folder sync". This boolean dont' have to be preserved on the BS starting.

Some reasons :

- To be sure one folder is synced before another (because I've got to leave with my tablet and I want this precise folder synced on it, not others and other current life cases)

- When I work on my databases the sync process blocks big files for some more or less long time and I must wait. Those files are constantly updated by the process of my tools. The problem is that I don't want to pause all other syncs that I really want to be done continuously while I work all day long.

- In a more general case, I use BS simultaneously for different purposes (http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/32274-same-content-on-3-computers/) and I share folders across the Internet while others are synced across local network, like many I think. Generally  I don't want to stop the slow Internet sharing by pausing all BS while working, while reorganizing big folders, etc.

If I even go further, the pause boolean for one folder could be a number of seconds to wait before launching a sync for this folder (each hours), or an indication that the sync should restart on machine idle and stop if human activity restarts... And in this case, this behaviour should be presreved across each retarting of BS as a properties set for each folders...  :)

Maybe is there another approach to this problem, like making a "by folder priority level"?, with a sort of timing before BS shows interrest to sync each folders :

Folder priority level:

- Always (default)

- Each 5 minutes

- Each hour

- On Idle

- Paused

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

UP...

Selective sync based on the presence of a file in the root directory would be very cool !!!

making the file name configurable per shared folder would be "cooler" ( maybe using regexp)

Use cases:

- Let's say I use keepassx to store secrets and I'd like to share the .kdb between my computers. with the requested feature implemented, as soon as I open the .kdb file, btsync would stop synching the folder

- Dito for sharing a lightroom catalog between computers... as soon as the .lock file is created by lightroom when opening the catalog, the sync would pause and resume when Lightroom closes the catalog.