[Solved] Sync Not Working After Mac Migration

kkaland

I recently got a new Mac and used Migration Assistant to move data.

I changed the Device Name on the new one after that. But the two can't find each other. Both of them can find another Mac on the network without a problem.

Migration Assistant is in many ways like a clone. Is there some sort of GUID or unique ID that I need to reinitialize in BTSync? It's as if the two Macs think that they are the same device, and thus ignore each other. It's unlikely to be network problems since, as mentioned, both of them can see a third Mac that is on the network, and syncing works with that one.

I've sent in some logs from both machines. It's worth mentioning that the Sync folder, which I have re-added on both ends, has synced one time since I posted this. But it doesn't seem to happen very quickly. I did a file rename, and it's definitely been 10 minutes on both ends (so both folders should have re-indexed), but I don't see them syncing. So not really sure why it randomly worked that one time. In any case, it'd be nice if it would kick in faster.

UPDATE: Nah, I tried that with another folder but it didn't help. Sync is still super-intermittent for no real good reason, even though it's very quick with the other Mac.

Edited by kkaland

• 9 months later...

This is what they told me:

We see that both Macs cannot get peer ID, well, because they have it the same. Could you please clear sync.dat and settings.dat files in BTSync folder on WizardHat ? Here are the steps:

1. Quit BTSync.
2. Go to ~/Library/Application Support/BitTorrent Sync/
3. Delete sync.dat and settings.dat files (including sync.dat.old and settings.dat.old, if there are any). These files keep information about peer ID.

Unfortunately, you will have add the folders again, but the new peer ID will be created fro this Mac.