--Dump-Sample-Config... Excuse Me?

Hey guys! I'm running btsync on a NAS (arm linux). I've configured many sync directories and other settings in the web gui but now I want to change an advanced setting (sync_trash_ttl). According to the user guide I have to run btsync with --dump-sample-config to get a sample config file and set sync_trash_ttl in it. But do I have to set everything else too??? Will I lose all my other settings if I start btsync with the newly generated config file?? Do I have to start the configuration all over again? This is not explained anywhere. Why isn't there a --dump-actual-config option? Why is there no config file when you first start btsync?

I love btsync but this particular thing is not very well documented and/or very stone age solution.

Btsync user guide: http://btsync.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/BitTorrentSyncUserGuide.pdf

Edited by krychek

dump actual config would be the contents of your current config file, so it would be pointless.

All that needs to be said here if you want to keep your settings is that you might like to experiment with diff or meld (probably more meld http://meldmerge.org/) to make sure you don't miss anything when transferring from your old settings.

As for your currently configuration in particular, make sure that the new config still points to your old .sync directory (located under "storage_path" on your current config file)

That contains all of your file, folder and share information.

From the user guide:

"Config file offers a slightly wider variety of options to configure. It is a JSON format file.

In order to set preferences using a config file, first get a sample config by running --dump-

sample-config. You’ll see a list of options and commentary."

There is no mentioning of any current config file! Where is the current config file? I'd like to set the vaule of sync_trash_ttl.

Contents of my .btsync directory:

indicator.lock  settings.dat      sync.dat      sync.lng  webui.zip

running         settings.dat.old  sync.dat.old  sync.log

settings.dat... it's a binary file, uneditable.

That's exactly my problem. There is no editible config file present. You configure everything in the web app and once you have to change something advanced how do you do it? Dump the sample config file and start everything all over again from scratch? All your previous configurations lost? It doesn't make any sense right now.

That's exactly my problem. There is no editible config file present. You configure everything in the web app and once you have to change something advanced how do you do it? Dump the sample config file and start everything all over again from scratch? All your previous configurations lost? It doesn't make any sense right now.

It depends on your OS, as not every OS offers a "web UI" for Sync (Windows/Mac, etc). On those operating systems that do (Linux), a config file overrides the web UI - in these circumstances it's "one or the other". If you need to configure advanced settings, you'll need to do this through a config file. Running Sync with a config file will supersede settings in the Web UI.