Mips Support

sancher

It would be great if you make MIPS architecture build.

There are a lot of devices with this processor architecture.

I use legendary asus wl-500gpv1 with Broadcom BCM4704.

My router is always online so I could sync my work and home computers with it.

Thank you for your great app!

I know that is possible, because MIPS devices have the same issues as an ARM one. As this fact, that SyncApp has been ported to ARM, rebuild it for MIPS-Linux will be easilly. Of course, we must to know, that MIPS architecture (such as an ARM) has two different models of CPU: with and without memory manager. Sometimes we can install ucLinux only, and in this case software must have a special build for it. May be it will be a two different versions for different kernels.

• 2 months later...

I've got a DVico TVIX M-6500A which runs the following MIPS CPU. Could we get a build for MIPS please?

root@TViX:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

system type : Sigma Designs TangoX

processor : 0

cpu model : MIPS 4KEc V6.9

Initial BogoMIPS : 292.86

wait instruction : yes

microsecond timers : yes

tlb_entries : 32

extra interrupt vector : yes

hardware watchpoint : yes

ASEs implemented : mips16

VCED exceptions : not available

VCEI exceptions : not available

System bus frequency : 198000000 Hz

CPU frequency : 297000000 Hz

DSP frequency : 297000000 Hz

• 2 weeks later...

One more vote for the MIPS build.

/ # cat /proc/cpuinfo

system type : Realtek Venus

processor : 0

cpu model : MIPS 4KEc V6.12

BogoMIPS : 202.34

wait instruction : yes

microsecond timers : yes

tlb_entries : 32

extra interrupt vector : yes

hardware watchpoint : yes

ASEs implemented :

VCED exceptions : not available

VCEI exceptions : not available

• 2 weeks later...

Um, thanks for stating the obvious? I mean, we're obviously pleased that someone is going to rebuild it for MIPS but that's not really an answer. How about a bit of actual news - this year, next year, etc?

The problem that all of us face is that we know that building for another architecture isn't really that difficult for most well-designed code. Hence the frustration.

Is there something about this code that makes it more difficult, and if so, can you educate us on this to help us understand the delay?

Again, I'm convinced that this project would be better served as open source. I don't see how Bittorrent, Inc can make money from this project. If you're not prepared to answer the architecture question, could you answer the business model one?

Is there something about this code that makes it more difficult, and if so, can you educate us on this to help us understand the delay?

Simply put, it's not just a case of being able to plop the regular code into a compiler and have it work. There are platform-specific tweaks that are required to get it to work.

That's reasonable. What is it about the MIPS architecture that makes it so challenging? I'm not an expert - I'm a "plop into compiler" kind of guy.

Also, I am curious what the endgame for this project is. How do you expect to turn this project into a business? It's great and we love it, but as users of Google Reader are painfully aware, that doesn't make it live forever...

Also, I am curious what the endgame for this project is. How do you expect to turn this project into a business? It's great and we love it, but as users of Google Reader are painfully aware, that doesn't make it live forever...

BitTorrent Sync "will work tomorrow exactly like it works today, no matter what we will do". Please see the unofficial FAQ entry, "Will BitTorrent Sync remain free, or will they start charging for it once it comes out of alpha?"

That's reasonable. What is it about the MIPS architecture that makes it so challenging? I'm not an expert - I'm a "plop into compiler" kind of guy.

the "plop into compiler" kind of guy... :D

sync is probably written in c/c++ (I guess). When porting to mips, the first thing you need to do for all these routers: compatibility with uclibc.

The routers usually have not a lot of memory and so forth, so they use uclibc instead of the regular libc. uclibc doesn't have everything that libc has, but it's a lot more compact.

Next up is busybox, which provides a small posix kind of system. Just like with uclibc, it has a lot of functions of a full size linux desktop, but not everything.

Kernel might be an issue as well... some routers are still running kernel 2.4 (ancient) and some newer broadcom routers run 2.6.22 (also quite ancient).

Many issues to overcome, and many ifdefs I think ;)

Didn't even mention architecture differences. Some algorithms might get tangled on a different architecture.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...