Single Global .sync\ignorelist File

Dantounet

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I've been using BTSync for a few months, and it's really great.

1. One feature I miss though is that when you have multiple folder to setup, you have to provide each of them a .SyncIgnore file. On each host. This is painful.

Most of the time, those .SyncIgnore are mostly the same. I would like to be able to have a global one that would be shared across folder, with each folder having the capability to define more specific additional rules (or exclude other).

2. Another thing that would be great would be to allow propagation of the .SyncIgnore files, as this sometimes make sense too (even if that is an optional behavior).

3. Finally, I also notice that .SyncIgnore files may be platform specific. For instance, Mac would like to exclude .DS_Store while Synology NAS would be the @eaDir subfolders. Having a mechanism to account for that would really make a lot of sense.

Anyways, thanks for making BTSync, it's really great stuff.

Raphael

@rsebbe,

In relation to your third suggestion, There's no real benefit to make these files "platform-specific" - the way the rules within.SyncIgnore works is that they cause Sync to ignore certain files/folders/file types, regardless of the OS that Sync is running on.

For example, a rule, like say "desktop.ini" (which is included for the purpose of excluding these primarily WIndows hidden/system files) can be safely included in the .SyncIgnore file for Sync running on other platforms (Mac, Linux, NAS, etc) with no real adverse affect - even if "desktop.ini" files don't exist on those OS's..

Also, if .SyncIgnore files were made "platform specific", wouldn't that then somewhat complicate your second suggestion of having .SyncIgnore files propagate to your other devices?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Your first suggestion already has it's own dedicated thread in this forum.

Hey GreatMarko, you've linked to this very thread here. Not sure if that's intentional, but I sure was confused :)

+1 for having two kinds of SyncIgnore files; those that are device-specific and those that apply to the entire share on all devices.

+1 for making these SyncIgnore files editable through the primary interface.

Hey GreatMarko, you've linked to this very thread here. Not sure if that's intentional, but I sure was confused :)

rstarkov, apologies for any confusion caused!

As per the general guidance at the top of this forum, here in the Feature Requests forum we try to merge identical/very similar requests. So, if several users each start their own topics all of which request a global .syncignore file, these can go on to be merged into a single concise thread dealing with that topic.

I suspect this is what's happened in this case, so that when I first posted my reply to you it was before your thread had been merged into this one.

• 1 month later...

There are certain "junk files" that exist (and persist - some of them are necessary for my local programs) on my system(s) that I would *love* to not have replicated across my network. For example, thumbnail files generated by my QNAP NAS and PEAK files generated by my music workstation for all WAV files in its library. Or how about annoying MAC OS folders that don't get hidden on a PC?

Is there a global way to do this?

If not, why not include in the ADVANCED options of the menu?

Such a cool prog - and it only gets cooler, you guys!

:) T

• 2 weeks later...

I highly agree, there should be the possibility of a global SyncIgnore / Ignorelist.

That said, I do see where users would want separate SyncIgnore / Ignorelist settings for each shared folder; there are benefits both ways.

Therefore, lets make it work both ways. It's easy while keeping the existing features and functionality:

1) Add a Button in the main console somewhere: "Update IgnoreList file for selected synced folders".

2) When clicked, it would prompt the user to select which synced folders to apply the new IgnoreList file to. The user selects all or some of thier sync folders.

3) The user is then prompted to select an existing IgnoreList file that they want to use. Bittorrent sync could then verify the file format and then overwrite the IgnoreList file in every selected synced folder on the client with the file the user selected.

3) Bittorrent Sync would then apply those settings to each synced folder (currently I have to restart Bittorrent sync for it to update).

This would allow us to easily update all IgnoreList files on a computer with the SyncIgnore settings we want.

Thanks!

I realize that Syncignore has been deprecated in favour of the new automatically generated IgnoreList file.  I would love to see an option to edit a default IgnoreList file, to be used a template for all future folders.

For example, I'm a programmer and use Sublime Text between multiple computers.  Syncing my projects with BTsync is awesome, but I have to avoid syncing *.sublime-workspace files since they contain absolute system paths.  It's a bit annoying having to add *.sublime-workspace to my IgnoreList file every time I set a new folder up.  Since the *.sublime-workspace file contains absolute system paths specific to the local machine, I have no reason to ever sync it.  If I could add it to a global IgnoreList file, or an IgnoreList template file, it would make BTsync easier to set up every time I set up a new project sync.

Loving BTsync though :)  Thank you for listening!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been wanting this since day one, I don't have 10*5 but 1 folder in 4 computers is painful already

I use btsync to sync a folder containing various tiny programs, so I don't have to upgrade on all my 4 computers, but unfortunately some of them use local configuration files, and some I really don't want to sync like irfanview stores recently opened files so it got updated every time I open a photo.

Edited by JimmyZ

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...