[Now Implemented!] Share A Single File

picnicbob

It would be great if I could right-click on a file in my sync folder and have the option to quickly / easily create a magnet link to share only that file.

That way I could email a magnet link to a client who could quickly retrieve that file from my "personal swarm" of computers without me having to try to explain what BitTorrent Sync is, the client install the program and link to my shared folder, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I love this product and my family is using daily. One feature I would like to see added is the ability to send a download link to a single file to people who are not users, or are not on a system that has BTSync installed.

I frequently send out one or two large files to a group of teachers, many who are not tech savvy. It would be nice to have a link they could simply click on which would download the file.

Great product, keep up the good work

• 5 weeks later...

Public Links

Very often i need to send a file to someone that doesn't quite fit in an email. What would be great is if i could right-click on the file and select "Copy Public Link" and then just paste it in the email. The killer feature of this would be if the file didn't need to be uploaded somewhere but rather streamed form my computer directly.

Like....: http://puu.sh/390gc/0165677b66.png

Current i use DropBox ONLY for this one feature (though they obviously need to upload the file first). I literally have nothing else in my DB folder other than the "Public" folder which i put stuff in to grab public links.

I'm lucky to have an old account with this feature still enabled. New accounts they make you open up a web browser and jump though 30 hoops to create or send a link. Likely because people are sending links and DropBox is not getting noted for it. All about that "engagement" factor.

Maybe i'm a weirdo and strange use case.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Searched around the forum and haven't seen it yet, but I'd love a feature to send a single file (like on mobile devices) to a recipient. Perhaps generate a secret that corresponds to the one file, email said secret and they download it like a one time sync.

I've been doing this with friends to share large files, but you have to create a directory, copy the file, and sync the directory.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are trying to woo away Dropbox customers, one of the features I use a lot in dropbox are direct links.

Sometimes, I want to send a large file to someone.

In Dropbox, I right-click, generate link, and send it to the user.

I don't know and don't care if they are Dropbox customers, I know it will just work.

Right this second I need to send something to someone, it's in my btsync folder.

I don't want to share the whole folder with him. I don't want to convince him to install btsync. I just want him to get the file.

So for now, I have to use 3rd party services to send it.

• 5 months later...

For completeness, the following users also previously requested such features in the original Wishlist thread:

4) Dropbox like ability to share single files/folders already WITHIN a share, read only, read and write and why not to have the ability to set the "time-out" feature as well (also to edit the expiration time). Useful if a person has a huge share and does not or can't move/copy files to another location and create a whole new share.

4) We very need to have ability to share only one single file

- Share file within folder without sync the entire folder...

• 9 months later...

Yeah in DropBox you just right click a file and it generates a public link that anyone can use to download the file. I realize BTS is not cloud based like DB, but could it maybe generate a public tracker that someone could use a BitTorrent client to download?

I've paid for Pro so I'm cool if this is a Pro only feature. :)

The goal is to offer a way to generate a read only link to a single file from one of my shares that I could give to one of our customers so they can download the file. I'd prefer an http link to the file so it could just be downloaded with a browser, but I understand that's probably not possible with BTS since it's not sever based. But it has to be providing a tracker of some sort, so it should be possible for it to generate an http link to a .torrent so we could share that. Then the user downloading the file could use any BT client to download the file, they wouldn't need to install BTS or link up with my share. 

• 2 months later...

I'd like to suggest implementing the idea put forward in this thread a year ago : http://blog.bittorrent.com/2014/04/15/bittorrent-sync-announces-support-for-network-attached-storage-nas/#comment-1374783515

As one poster mentioned, I also envision Bittorrent Sync as an excellent tool for sharing stuff in an educational environment, but sometimes it is too much work asking the recipient of a single file or folder to install BTSync before one is capable of receiving a single file.

The Synology NAS'es that we use allow one to generate links to individual files which can then be used in the curriculum software as a link attached to the lesson, where it is relevant. But one has to go through the trouble opening the Synology Assistant and/or opening the NAS via the web interface, navigate to find the right file, create the link, copy the link and only by then can the link be shared. This is a rather cumbersome work procedure for something that tedious.

I much prefer organizing og browsing files and folders via Bittorrent Sync shared folders (Synced with the NAS'es, some folders always kept in sync, other folders kept in sync as the need arises, but all files allways accessible from the NAS'es).

Would be brilliant if one could simply rightclick on a file in a BTSync shared folder and share the NAS generated link or something along those lines. The files are already accessible on the NAS unit, so syncing them to a web server is unneccessary. All that is needed is the functionality that makes BTSync take advantage of the capabilities of the NAS units.

Is this within reach of BTSync?

The links created by a Synology NAS takes the user directly to that file, which will download immediately, without the need to login to the NAS. It would be ideal to keep this functionality, so that all receivers with access to the link also has access to that particular file. Mostly it will be useful for linking to media files, which are too cumbersome to throw around and upload/download to the curriculum system.

One thing you could do that would provide value for the price charged is to give PRO users the ability to share individual files and folders with web links.

This would mean that a file or folder would have to be routed through a server that downloads the file and retransmits it over HTTP. This would be great when one needs to share a single file or folder with someone who either don't have (or aren't allowed to install) Sync, or to whom you only want to give that one file as a once off.

• 5 weeks later...

Is it possible to add file downloads to a remote 'Drop Box'? By this I mean:

Find the URL of a downloadable file on the internet. Copy the URL to the clipboard, then fire up Sync and say 'download this file to this other PC.' Then a few seconds (or minutes) later, the file is downloaded (to remote PC) and begins to sync to my local PC.

The reason I would like this is because my internet at home is slow and very unreliable, but I have a 'server' living at my mother-in-law's on fast, reliable internet. When I need to download any file over ~10mb (driver packages, Windows ISOs), it's much more reliable to download it there and transfer it with Sync. I've never successfully downloaded a file over ~150mb here, since the internet flakes about every hour.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Copying from my own post:

I want to add a folder for sharing but I don't want to share the folder key with all contributors. Some of them should only have a single file. So, my question is: is it possible to generate per-file keys in a shared folder so that, instead of creating one folder per file, I just share those single-file keys and share them?

• 1 month later...

I would love to be able to share individual files with someone on demand. Through a web portal would be amazing. I'm a Pro customer, and selective sync would work on one of MY PC's, but if I need to get a large file to a family member where I don't want they to have access to everything in my Sync...

• 1 month later...